High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Gee Wee, the customer is not happy with 115K.  We already determined
that TI's MAX232 works up to 115K and the MAX3232 won't even work at
115K (although it claims to work).  I know there are pin-incompatible
MAX-something, but we don't want to change layout, just for the sake
of in-compatibility.  Are there pin-compatible, reliable MAX232 clones
for 230K that work, not just claim to work?  Thanks.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Max 3222 ?

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

18 pins vs. 16 pins

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Actually, worst than that.  20 pins TSSOP vs. 16 pins TSSOP
Not even TSSOP 18 available.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?
   So, IF you can get them, just clip off 2 pins and nobody will be the
wiser..

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

But no TSSOP in 18 pins.  Only TSSOP 20.  They really make it
difficult to go high speed.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

The MAX 3222 has the same pin out for the lower 16-pins and the MAX 232.
( they must have thought this thru)

Pin 1 and 18 are *Enable and *Shutdown.

So, this part can be made to work, if Blue wires don't bother you till
the next board layout.

Shutdown is next to Vcc and Enable is across from GND.

So small wires.

don

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

haha, blue wires. Is there some corporate talk name for these that anybody
has heard?

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Fine wires, usually of an obnoxious color, like blue, yellow, orange or,
from literature, "scarlet".  Used to jumper routing mistakes ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

scarlet is as good as telcos calling grey/gray "slate".

those wires are as funny as old computer boards complete with the "spare"
sockets for ICs ready to be added at some later date. There still has to
be some silly name for this type of stuff past and "engineering change."

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Telco?  You're not going back far enough.  I meant as in the color of the
"Scarlet Letter"!

Comes in handy though.  On one recent board, I implemented enough options
that, for the forseeable future, a mere BOM change will cover all
contingencies -- and when you, say, jumper a single SMT component that's
DNI'd, you don't need any blue wire, just a short bit of bare wire will
do.  It was supposed to be that way...no one's the wiser. ;-)
Contingencies also include cost reduction: I've already laid out
replacements for the DC-DC modules ($$), it just has to be called out on
the BOM.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

When I worked for DEC in the early 70's, all
the backplanes were wired with yellow-white
wire.  ECO's could be applied with any color
wire *but* yellow-white and field service issued
blue wire, so that's what it was back then.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?
   Cut off even MORE pins..that will make it faster yet: being Maxim, it
is already so fast that few (if anyone) get to see it...

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

One of the guys I work with really likes Maxim.  Apparently when you buy by
the millions, Maxim can even deliver parts.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

  Isn't that something? :)

Jamie

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:23:14 -0500, Jamie

I always knew there was *someone* buying their parts.  I just didn't know who.
;-)

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

230 kbps is getting into RS422 territory...

--
Les Cargill

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Yes, i know.  I told me he's crazy (behind his back), but he didn't
listen.  Anyway, we can keep the cable as short as possible (couple
inches), but the interface has to be RS232.

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Did you try "But Captain, I canna change the laws a' physics!!!" ?

 >  Anyway, we can keep the cable as short as possible (couple

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>

--
Les Cargill

Re: High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Scotty, PC claims to do 921K, we can certainly do 1/4 of that.  Just
do your magic.

Scotty to Spot: Can't believe everything they say, can you?

Site Timeline