High-end AVR vs. low-end ARM?

cycles.

No, read again. It's 13 cycles to do 3 MACs, so 26 to do 6 MACS.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

No, read again.

It's 13 cycles to do 3 MACs, so 26 to do 6 MACS.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

OK, I see that now, where do you check for saturation?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

cycles.

There is usually no need to check for saturation unless you have 16-bit ADC's (rare). With saturation it would be 32 cycles.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

"Wilco Dijkstra" skrev i meddelandet news:7RkTk.45327$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.ams...

So the AVR32 inner loop is only 2-3 x faster than the Cortex-M3. Yes, noone in their right mind would switch for such¨ a meagre performance increase ;-)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

cycles.

11

Actually the worst case is 2.5x, but as steve said earlier, actual measurements taking flash speed etc into account are closer to 1.5x. Either way, that's not close at all to the claimed 11x difference.

For better DSP performance and more MHz most people would use ARM9E instead (it's used in many harddrives).

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra