Hi,Which Embedded os is suitable for new user to learn?

Dear all, If I want to learn embedded system, which OS should I choose? Currently, I have known two kinds of embeeded OS, like Linux or Micro-OSII, what's difference between them? And If I want to learn by myself, which OS is suitable for me? Is anyone able to give me suggestion? thanks a lot.

ps:Please forgive my poor English.

Best Regards, Eddie Chou

Reply to
b108463

Micro-OSII is good but lacks the ability that a true OS should have - the ability to switch a task at any time for any reason, and the ability to give multiple tasks the same priority and continually switch the CPU between them.

Whats sad is that using a simple timer interrupt you can make the OS do just that, yet they won't include it? I am guessing this is because of the aviation requirements they want to keep intact to the get the big green OK sticker.

The MicroOS2 is good if you don't really know C. But apart form that none of the way it handles anything is really efficient nor dynamic enough for a modern system.

I would stick to linux.

Reply to
DAC

In article , DAC writes

1 Linux is not an RTOS 2 Linux does not work in most embedded targets 3 Most embedded systems don't use an RTOS

Linux is as much an embedded RTOS as embedded WinXP

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

The FreeRTOS WEB site (see signature below) has some resources and demo code that may be of interest for the lower end of your scale. If you download a trial version of the Keil compiler then you can run an entire simulation on a PC to enable you to step through and learn the code.

Regards, Richard.

*Now for ARM CORTEX M3!*
Reply to
Richard

? I didnt say it was

Reply to
DAC

I agree to the appointment of Tim Wescott ; because Linux is too difficult to learn for the beginners; so that, when I have studied the embedded system,I selected the Micro/uc-osII;There are some reasons for my choice; Firstly,the kernel of the system is much little enough;Secondly,it is easy to move to other machines; Finally,it is free to study;

Reply to
yangqinghua_lw

I agree to the appointment of Tim Wescott ; because Linux is too difficult to learn for the beginners; so that, when I have studied the embedded system,I selected the Micro/uc-osII;There are some reasons for my choice; Firstly,the kernel of the system is much little enough;Secondly,it is easy to move to other machines; Finally,it is free to study;

Reply to
yangqinghua_lw

I agree to the appointment of Tim Wescott ; because Linux is too difficult to learn for the beginners; so that, when I have studied the embedded system,I selected the Micro/uc-osII;There are some reasons for my choice; Firstly,the kernel of the system is much little enough;Secondly,it is easy to move to other machines; Finally,it is free to study;

Reply to
yangqinghua_lw

One thing no one appears to have mentioned is that there is a complete book on MicroC/OS-II by Jean Labrosse, available from Amazon. It includes the complete source code and is in use at many universities as a text book for RTOS classes.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me