help with z8

Hi, I'm just getting started on a project with a z8 microcontroller....I'm new at the embedded game so any help would be appreciated. I'm at the stage now where I have to figure out which compiler and c library is best suited for the use with the z8. I'm looking for a free or inexpensive combination. I also haven't been able to find a site for downloading a compiler. Thanks for the help.

Eric Larson

z8 or ez8? For $50, you can order the eZ8 eval board from Zilog which comes with a C development environment. I think the $50 kit is for the top of the line eZ8. I believe they have a $40 kit of the lower-end eZ8. See

for details.

Reply to
Gary Kato

It's the z8....I have the emulator, but the c component is a plug-in that they don't provide.....

comes

the

There is also a user group on yahoo for the eZ8, see link below.

Bradley

I'm kind of surprise that the z8 doesn't have a inexpensive IDE? Eric

comes

the

Why a Z8?

Just curious..

Reply to
Ian McBride

I think that zilog used to give away the ZDS I software development system but I can't find it on the web site anymore. The ZDS II development system works for the eZ8 Encore and is pretty good. It is included with low cost development kit for $49.95 and the low cost evaluation kit for $39.95. I do not know about the other micro-controller venders but that is a pretty good deal to me. The dev kit for $49.95 has a lot to offer as well.

You might want to ask one of the zilog people that frequent the following yahoo group

for any help.

Bradley

Reply to
Bradley

The z8 is part of an existing product. The company wants to make mods to the code AND convert the code to C in the process. I'm sure someone out in the ether has a copy of the compiler......

Eric

In this case I would recomend that you contact the vendor that your company purchased the Z8 micros from. You may find them willing to supply you with a ZDS development system for your Z8 type free of charge to keep your business. Alternately, contact Zilog at

and explain what you are trying to do.

Zilog is very hungry right now to keep existing microcontroller business as well as get new business.

Reply to
Bradley

I think part of my problem is that the Z8 is a dinosaur....no one wants to invest any energy in helping me, zilog included....oh sure, they'll talk about a "new" processor line...haha....can't blame them I guess....I think I'm going to end up telling the company to start looking for a newer processor to take the place of the dino

eric

the

Eric this being electronic media and everything I am not sure or your tone.

I suggested that you try and contact some zilog rep in the ez8Encore group on google groups. I have not seen any postings from you there. I gave you a pretty reasonable suggestion yesterday about contacting the vendor that your company purchases the Z8 parts from and even talking to Zilog support.

It has been my experience that Zilog and other micro-controller vendors (ST Microelectonics and PIC that I have dealt with) will help you with your existing product line in good faith for 2 reasons. (1) to keep your business and (2) to get future business from you.

There are no free 3rd party C compilers available for the Z8 that I am aware of. Bytecraft and 2500AD offer 3rd party solutions for the Z8 around $795 - 1050 USD. The cost of changing a product, in time and money to a new/different micro controller is quite a bit greater than shelling out even $1050 USD for a C compiler. In many cases going to a new micro still means that you will have to purchase a C compiler anyways.

You said that the company wants this product redone in C while you are adding new features. Unless the change is major and involves a lot of coding you probably are better off just adding the changes to the product in assembler. Why would any one want to rewrite code to a different language and possibly incur all the bugs that will come with it? Plus the Z8 does not have tons of Ram and your rom size is probabley limited. C may use up these resources.

That is my $0.02.

Reply to
Bradley