help me get started with Embedded devices using Am29C020 chip on an SBC

Hi,

I would like some places to start to get the easiest program programmed into an AM29C020 EEprom to boot a single board computer.

I imagine seeing DOS or Linux booting up to say "Hello, World".

First I just want to see this thing boot to something else instead of the WinCE that it boots to.

After that I can try to figure out how to program them myself with some other programs. Embedded computers seem like fun!

Thanks!

Reply to
heirbrande

You're severely lacking information about that "single board computer". Without at least knowing the type of CPU that's on there, there's pretty much no way in hell you'll ever get it to do anything else than it's currently doing.

I.e. before the fun you're so looking forward to, the gods have put some legwork you have to do first.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Actually, the 29C020 is generally known as FLASH memory, not EEPROM. EEPROMs (or the usual usage of that term) means a byte-erasable/programmable device. These usually start with 28 (26C16 = 16K bits = 2K byte EEPROM). FLASH is not eraseable by byte but by sections. How many bytes in a section depends on the type of device.

I suggest you download the datasheet on the major chips used on your SBC. There are probably a ton of commercial and hobbyist chip programmers around. Search around using Google.

Good luck.

Reply to
Gary Kato