help me get started with Embedded devices using Am29C020 chip on an SBC

I would like some places to start to get the easiest program
programmed into
an AM29C020 EEprom to boot a single board computer.

I imagine seeing DOS or Linux booting up to say "Hello, World".

First I just want to see this thing boot to something else instead of
the WinCE that it boots to.

After that I can try to figure out how to program them myself with
some other programs. Embedded computers seem like fun!

Thanks!

Re: help me get started with Embedded devices using Am29C020 chip on an SBC

You're severely lacking information about that "single board
computer".  Without at least knowing the type of CPU that's on there,
there's pretty much no way in hell you'll ever get it to do anything
else than it's currently doing.

I.e. before the fun you're so looking forward to, the gods have put
some legwork you have to do first.

Re: help me get started with Embedded devices using Am29C020 chip on an SBC

Actually, the 29C020 is generally known as FLASH memory, not EEPROM. EEPROMs
(or the usual usage of that term) means a byte-erasable/programmable device.
These usually start with 28 (26C16 = 16K bits = 2K byte EEPROM). FLASH is not
eraseable by byte but by sections. How many bytes in a section depends on the
type of device.

I suggest you download the datasheet on the major chips used on your SBC. There
are probably a ton of commercial and hobbyist chip programmers around. Search
around using Google.

Good luck.

Site Timeline