Help identifying possible embedded system

Sorry if this post is off topic.

I recently conducted a war dial as part a security audit of modems connected to our companies telephone lines.

While I was able to identify most of the modems found there are a few I need help with, it has been suggested to me that they may be some kind of embedded systems.

If anyone recognises any of these or can give me any idea what they are, I'd be very grateful. Specific software/vendor/model details would be great.

Please reply directly.

Thanks in advance

1)

The first simply asks for a password, it allows 4 tries, Each character typed echoes a '#', including the newline.

===== BEGIN LOG ===== CONNECT 2400

PASSWORD> ##### PASSWORD> ###### PASSWORD> ##### PASSWORD> ###### NO CARRIER

===== END LOG =====

The passwords tried in the example are root, guest, test and admin.

2)

The second carrier is a simple ']' password prompt. You get hree attempts until you are disconnected with what appears to be a error code, or possibly a serial number.

===== BEGIN LOG ===== CONNECT 2400

] ] ]

0000004E0DD4 +++ ===== END LOG =====

3)

The third carrier asks for a passcode and echos '*' for every character entered, including the new line.

===== BEGIN LOG ===== CONNECT 28800

Enter PassCode ****** Access Denied

Enter PassCode ***** Access Denied

Enter PassCode **** NO CARRIER ===== END LOG =====

The passwords tried in the example are guest,test and admin.

Reply to
sophia2521

As a general rule, if you request assistance on any Usenet newsgroups, you are expected to have the common courtesy to monitor the group for answers. These groups are not designed for privacy, and others may well be interested in your problem and solutions, either now or in the future. The rule is: "Post here, read here".

The various scenarios you have shown have absolutely nothing to do with the modems. They are the response of the software the modem connects to, after answering the line, and that can be anything. Once the "CONNECT xxx" message has appeared the modems proper are out of the picture. All you know is that the modems appear to respond to the Hayes command set.

More details at:
Reply to
Chuck F.

Right.

Try alt.2600.hackers

Right.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Then why not post it somewhere it's on topic?

OK.

Why as us?

Go look to see what's plugged into that phone jack.

Ask the person who owns the extension.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm