Help identifying possible embedded system

Sorry if this post is off topic.

I recently conducted a war dial as part a security audit of
modems connected to our companies telephone lines.

While I was able to identify most of the modems found there
are a few I need help with, it has been suggested to me that
they may be some kind of embedded systems.

If anyone recognises any of these or can give me any idea what
they are, I'd be very grateful. Specific software/vendor/model
details would be great.

Please reply directly.

Thanks in advance

1)

The first simply asks for a password, it allows 4 tries,
Each character typed echoes a '#', including the newline.

===== BEGIN LOG =====
CONNECT 2400

PASSWORD> #####
PASSWORD> ######
PASSWORD> #####
PASSWORD> ######
NO CARRIER

===== END LOG =====

The passwords tried in the example are root, guest, test and
admin.

2)

The second carrier is a simple ']' password prompt. You get
hree attempts until you are disconnected with what appears to
be a error code, or possibly a serial number.

===== BEGIN LOG =====
CONNECT 2400

]
]
]
0000004E0DD4
+++
===== END LOG =====

3)

The third carrier asks for a passcode and echos '*' for every
character entered, including the new line.

===== BEGIN LOG =====
CONNECT 28800

Enter PassCode ******
Access Denied

Enter PassCode *****
Access Denied

Enter PassCode ****
NO CARRIER
===== END LOG =====

The passwords tried in the example are guest,test and admin.

Re: Help identifying possible embedded system
*** Posted and mailed ***

As a general rule, if you request assistance on any Usenet
newsgroups, you are expected to have the common courtesy to monitor
the group for answers.  These groups are not designed for privacy,
and others may well be interested in your problem and solutions,
either now or in the future.  The rule is: "Post here, read here".

The various scenarios you have shown have absolutely nothing to do
with the modems.  They are the response of the software the modem
connects to, after answering the line, and that can be anything.
Once the "CONNECT xxx" message has appeared the modems proper are
out of the picture.  All you know is that the modems appear to
respond to the Hayes command set.

Re: Help identifying possible embedded system

Right.

Try alt.2600.hackers

Right.

Re: Help identifying possible embedded system

Then why not post it somewhere it's on topic?

OK.

Why as us?

Go look to see what's plugged into that phone jack.

Ask the person who owns the extension.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm