Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

hi all
Hope this is the correct place to post this message.

I need help from some one who did MIL-STD-1553B projects. I am new to
designing  area.
Can some one show me the path of how to design a board with ms1553B to
interface at least 10 serial port sensors?
I have studied 1553b tutorials available in net , most of which give
info on only protocol concepts but not on design aspects and design
hardware.

Thanks in advance.
Manohar

Re: Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

If you enter MIL 1553B Hardware into the search string you will get a
number of hits on components and modules that may meet your needs.

Not many people, unless they have very tight space/performance
requirements, will design the complete interface themselves. The majority
will select a suitable interface module to attach to their processors and
deal with the interface of the module rather than the bus side itself.

It has been quite a long time since I dealt with 1553B so I am a little out
of date with what is available now. If I were to do another one I would
certainly look at the modules on offer. I gather that there are some
evaluation boards available from poeple like Greenwood Electronics. You
could try one of those for a starter. There are solutions for PCI and VME
bus based systems.

I am sure others here will also help out a bit but you may need to get a
bit more specific about the problems you are experiencing.

Re: Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.
Thanks for the reply.

we are into building a single board solution in which we interface with
ten serial communication ports of  RS-232 and also 4 USB interfaces.
All this with M-S-1553B standard implemented into it.

Presently I am studying various aspects and feasibility of designing
this. Latter a better approach will be considered.
Can you please give some details of design using processors for MS1553B
boards.

manohar

Re: Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

OK, so you have ten RS232 serial ports, 4 USB ports and need to route
traffic from all of those to a MIL1553B interface. I am only restating your
requirements so that I am sure that I have a proper grasp of your needs.
You just need to answer YES or NO to the above restatement.

MIL1553B is a communications bus to a standard format protocol that has
been used for many years in military and space applications. Your original
post mentioned sensors so I am presuming that these are intelligent devices
and have RS232 interfaces. Are the sensors all to be located near to this
SBC? I guess you will use the USB interfaces for other things.

There are SBC's around with MIL1553B (though maybe not with the level of
other interfacing you require).

See http://www.rugged.com/products/space/s127/s127.html
    http://ams.aeroflex.com/ProductPages/AE_sbcomp.cfm?pmenunum=7_5

Re: Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

##Yes, Exactly that's what I am looking for.

##yes, sensors will be near to this SBC. USBs are for transmitting data
of sensors in a particular format to other electronic devices.

http://ams.aeroflex.com/ProductPages/AE_sbcomp.cfm?pmenunum=7_5

##Thanks for links; this seems to be more towards my requirements.

manohar

Re: Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

Your welcome. When you have had some time to look into those links and have
some more specific questions I will try and help again. If DDC are still
around you may try seeing if they have anything to assist you.