Help for designing MIL-STD 1553 boards.

hi all Hope this is the correct place to post this message.

I need help from some one who did MIL-STD-1553B projects. I am new to designing area. Can some one show me the path of how to design a board with ms1553B to interface at least 10 serial port sensors? I have studied 1553b tutorials available in net , most of which give info on only protocol concepts but not on design aspects and design hardware.

Thanks in advance. Manohar

Reply to
p.manohar.reddy

If you enter MIL 1553B Hardware into the search string you will get a number of hits on components and modules that may meet your needs.

Not many people, unless they have very tight space/performance requirements, will design the complete interface themselves. The majority will select a suitable interface module to attach to their processors and deal with the interface of the module rather than the bus side itself.

It has been quite a long time since I dealt with 1553B so I am a little out of date with what is available now. If I were to do another one I would certainly look at the modules on offer. I gather that there are some evaluation boards available from poeple like Greenwood Electronics. You could try one of those for a starter. There are solutions for PCI and VME bus based systems.

I am sure others here will also help out a bit but you may need to get a bit more specific about the problems you are experiencing.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Thanks for the reply.

we are into building a single board solution in which we interface with ten serial communication ports of RS-232 and also 4 USB interfaces. All this with M-S-1553B standard implemented into it.

Presently I am studying various aspects and feasibility of designing this. Latter a better approach will be considered. Can you please give some details of design using processors for MS1553B boards.

manohar

Reply to
p.manohar.reddy

OK, so you have ten RS232 serial ports, 4 USB ports and need to route traffic from all of those to a MIL1553B interface. I am only restating your requirements so that I am sure that I have a proper grasp of your needs. You just need to answer YES or NO to the above restatement.

MIL1553B is a communications bus to a standard format protocol that has been used for many years in military and space applications. Your original post mentioned sensors so I am presuming that these are intelligent devices and have RS232 interfaces. Are the sensors all to be located near to this SBC? I guess you will use the USB interfaces for other things.

There are SBC's around with MIL1553B (though maybe not with the level of other interfacing you require).

See

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

##Yes, Exactly that's what I am looking for.

##yes, sensors will be near to this SBC. USBs are for transmitting data of sensors in a particular format to other electronic devices.

##Thanks for links; this seems to be more towards my requirements.

manohar

Reply to
manohar

Your welcome. When you have had some time to look into those links and have some more specific questions I will try and help again. If DDC are still around you may try seeing if they have anything to assist you.