Help about HD66420 160 x 100 display controller avaliblity.

hello all,

I was planning on using a display module, which uses the Hitachi HD66420 display controller IC. On searching the Hitachi (Now Renesas) US and Global web sights I could find a listing for the IC but no data sheet. I could however find datasheets for the part on the European web sight but it lists the part as not recommended for new designs.

Does anyone have any information on what the future of this IC is? Our local REP says it's not recommended for new design but can't say how long it will be available. It could be available for 10 years could go on last buy next week, they don't know they are not allowed to sell the part in the US (The module is made in Taiwan).

The HD66420 supports 160 x 100 gray scale. The display module was a perfect fit for my application, but I will be forced to stay away from if it uses a part not recommended for new design.

Thanks for any help. Renesas has not been very helpful on this.

Peejayblack

Reply to
philblack

I made several projects using japanese parts. In my opinion you shoud stay away from a situation where you NEED a specific part unless you are a high-volume buyer. That is their "business as usual". Leave "space" in your project in every direction. You may find the full datasheet in the web archives. Ask if you don't know them.

- Henry

philblack schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry