HCS12 microcontroller question

Hello, I just got a MC9S12NE64 microcontoller and a development board, and I've been trying to access my microcontroller through the hyperterminal on my computer but have been having a really hard time. I couldn't find any serial port driver files for this MCU, but had some for a MC9S12C32 which i tried to modify to use with my MCU... my code compiles on codewarrior and loads into my MCU but.... I can't get it to show anything on the hyperterminal.... I was wondering if anyone could tell me what steps I need to take to do this serial communication with my MCU, or if anyone knows of any good resources or websites where i could find driver files for this? My ultimate goal is to control a programmable power supply through the serial port of my MCU, so I'm trying to get familiar with the serial port by accessing it through a hyperterminal....

any help or suggestions would be greatly appresicated, thank you Joshua

Reply to
panfilero

There is more than one development board for that processor. I don't remember if the SCI can be used as a UART, but the processor has plenty of oomph to do bit banging. Are there no hints or code examples in the accompanying literature?

Look for a configuration register. That might point you in the right direction. There has to be some way to start the thing up.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

First check the serial cable. Do you get an echo when pins 2&3 are shorted?

SFC

"Jerry Av>> Hello, I just got a MC9S12NE64 microcontoller and a development board,

Reply to
SFC

I'm pretty new to microcontrollers, how do I short the serial and get it to echo? The development board I got is the: CME-12NE64-DEV here's a link to it:

it has 2 serial ports, i thought i would connect them both to them computer in order to communicate with my chip through the hyperterminal..... I got some code from this guy's web site:
and tried to modify it a bit to work with my MCU, and I get it to compile and run... but can't get anything to happen on the hyperterminal..... I'm wondering if I have to fonfigure the other serial port somehow, maybe it's not outputting.... If I set serial port 1 on codewarrior to load my MCU with the program, I was thinking I could plug the other serial port into com 2 on my computer and have hyperterminal set up on com 2, to recieve and transfer data.... I don't know if I'm thinking about this correctly.

thanks Joshua

Reply to
panfilero

Pins 2 and 3 are the transmit and receive pins. If you short them together, and the cable is working, then the computer will be talking to itself.

It's a good test to make sure that everything up to the board is in working order -- if there's something wrong on the host side any work you do on the target board side is wasted effort.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You short the same two pins on the terminal side to make it loop back. If both board and terminal work separately but they don't work together, first make sure the baud rates are the same, then that the "common" ground is really common.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

I remember a case where the "common" ground had a 50V difference between conductors. We discovered this _after_ we found the burnt place where the serial port card's ground trace used to be.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

LOL. I remember the time we discovered the dufus^H^H^H^H customer had swapped the ground and hot wires in the line cord. Surprisingly, the test PC serial port survived.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I'm glad the dufus^H^H^H^H customer survived. I remember when one phase of the 220V line got connected to the 5V bus on a small mainframe computer. (Small meant that it filled only one room.)

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Over 40 years ago we lost a wall to wall breadboard (something like

6 full benches of wires, transistors, resistors, caps, and diodes) to a frayed soldering iron cord. Plastic transistors literally exploded. It took about two months to recover. You can see the end result at:

Follow-ups set to remove excessive cross-posting.

                           -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
                                             -- Thomas Matthews
Reply to
CBFalconer

Y'all must have felt physically ill when that happened.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Read it again. He didn't say they were. He said they made connector housings and wiring harnesses. Many companies make things for GM and are not part of GM.

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III

Read it again and tell us what the word "other" is doing in front of "GM brands" ?

(many can play your game)

Reply to
cs_posting

A Delco engineer told me years ago that their Packard Electric division came from the original Packard company, but he didn't go into any details. Apparently, he was full of it. Delphi-Packard Electric, however, is a division of GM.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida