HCS08 Serial Number or ID

Gentle Denizens:

Does Freescale's HCS08 series have a vaguely unique serial number that one can programmatically gain access to? I am working out part of a networking protocol, and a canned ID would do me wonders.

I remember that Temic's 8051 derivatives had a serial number that you could get at. Of course, they piled on the disclaimers about not relying on its uniqueness, etc., and that would be fine for my application.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

Reply to
mcoyle

Not that I'm aware of.

If it doesn't have to be unique, how about 0? Or if that doesn't work, how about 1?

All kidding aside, the most common solution to this problem is to set aside a byte or two or four in Flash, and serialize each chip as you program it. Most programming software I've used supports this, as do chip programming services.

If you need a more robust serial number, Dallas used to sell serial number ROM chips with a (wait for it) serial interface. ISTR 64 and

1024 bit parts, and some with additional features, like some EEPROM.

HTH,

-=Dave -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Thanks, Dave. I'd thought about that approach -- we are going to use flash parts, and our programmer does serialization just fine. I was just hoping to get a freebie.

BTW -- I like your tagline.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat,

-Mike

Reply to