H8S - Any thoughts ?

I am looking into the H8S (renesas) micros since I understand I am to make
use of these devices in a new role. I have previously used the H8 but this
was on legacy systems or at least legacy controls within new systems but I
am struggling to see what the key points are of this range. The H8S is the
quicker end of the renesas product line, but still a little sluggish
compared to say arm core devices , some nice peripherals... is there a H8S
fan out there that can tell me what I am missing? I am not dissin' the range
I am just trawling through the garbage that the marketing folk publish but
havent yet come accross its real strenghts - why is this so popular ?

also is bdm available ?

what tools are available and which are the stronger ?

thanks in advance for any thought you care to publish.

Re: H8S - Any thoughts ?

A lot of features for the money/power.

No, I think BDM is a Motorola thing.

I use the gnu toolchain and am happy with it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Boys, you have ALL
                                  at               been selected to LEAVE th'

Which H8 as there is H8300, H8300L, H8300H, H8300S, H8Tiny, H8300SX ranges.

For a lot of my systems the peripherals and onboard size of Flash/RAM is
good enough for the task, and using GNU C is relatively easy. 32bit registers
and arithmetic helps as well as the external address space where necessary.

Several designs have had just the H8H and some newer ones H8S (generally
faster clock than H8H and 3V) and possibly an external flash controlling
user interface and video processing hardware/PLD/FPGA. External memory
only required for large video datasets live and Flash.

If you go for SH (closer match to ARM) you can get JTAG on newer models.

Various commercial compilers and GNU (see sig)

Maight like to look at various links from site in sig.

Re: H8S - Any thoughts ?
We use the 2378. It's a nice device. Lots of good peripherals. It has
several UARTS and 2 separate I2C channels. We are running the Nucleus
RTOS and coding in C++. The debugger we use is CodeLab from Mentor
Graphics, which is not the greatest. We use CodeLab because the Renesas
tool, HEW, is not RTOS aware.

make
this
but I