GSM/SMS connected alarm system

Hi,

I'm just developing a small alarm/supervising system for my friends. The main idea is that the microcontroller receives data from different sensors (eg. anti-burglar ones, or even some sensors evaluating the health of an older/ill person), and automatically sends SMS notifications to the group of registered mobiles, if any dangerous situation is detected.

The whole thing will be open source & open hardware design.

Therefore I'm looking for any free (GPL'ed?) libraries for typical microcontrollers (PIC, 8051/2 etc.) which could be used to control sending SMS via different mobile phones, connected over RS232, Irda, BT and so on... Any pointers are appreciated.

--
TIA & Regards,
Wojtek Zabolotny

Almost ready to use: