Graphics chip for ARM processors?

Are there any good graphics processors which are compatible with ARM architectures? Or ARM processors with a built-in graphics core?

TIA

Widget

If by "graphics processors" you mean PC-style 3D engines, your best option is to select an ARM variant with PCI bus and use a PC chipset.

This is decidedly NOT a simple question to answer; many ARM variants have inbuilt LCD or LCD/CRTC controllers but there are complicated tradeoffs. What resolution do you need to support (wxhxd), how much CPU bandwidth are you prepared to sacrifice, do you need hardware blitter capabilities, etc. etc.?

Reply to
larwe

And how about the Cirrus EP9307? It'a an ARM9 processor with built in 2-D graphics 'engine'.

In case you're wondering: I'm investigating the possibillity of an ARM based sub-$100 laptop after seeing Negreponte's $100 laptop (which is x86 based). I'm convinced that an ARM based computer is probably a better bet since it uses far less power, and ARM processors are cheaper and just as capable. Drawback would be that some core Linux software is written for x86.

Widget

Analyze the tradeoffs! I haven't looked at the datasheet but most ARM SoCs with video capability have a single memory subsystem. This means that although the LCD/CRT controller might nominally support some very high resolutions, these modes are practically useless because they leave no SDRAM bandwidth for the CPU.

Please note that nobody - not even the OEM (Great Wall Computers) - is going to make a profit off this $100 laptop.

But what's this about "core Linux software written for x86"? I think you'll be hard-pressed to find something essential that doesn't work on PPC, ARM, et al. (except possibly some binary distributed software).

Reply to
larwe

2-D

The EP9307 has a seperate SDRAM interface for high speed video memory.

it

If the processor only costs $9 in 10.000 quantities (EP9307) then I'm sure that you can still make a decent profit with a $100 pricetag. The largest cost will then become the screen ($20) and the 2GB Flash memory ($20). I'm convinced there's quite a market for ultra-cheap, low power devices which will run for days on a single charge (it will be powered by conventional rechargeable AA batteries) with simple user interfaces but with almost all of the capabillities of a full size laptop.

You might be right, but there is a lot more experience on x86 and a lot more tools which allows you to run it virtually 'out of the box' without the need for fiddling around yourself with the source-code.

Reply to
Ernest

I was suprised how fast the little fellas are! Mine tripped up at 16bpp VGA running from flash but it is fine running from RAM and has plenty of horsepower to spare.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Nifty.

Well, read the press releases for yourself. The $100 laptop project is not designed to make a profit. It is designed as a philanthropic exercise. The hook for Great Wall is brand exposure and free access to some US patents.

Not relevant to this product. It's not going to run off-the-shelf binaries for other computers. It will be shipped with a preloaded software bundle and only the illuminati will be able to build and install new software anyway.

In fact, given the target market, it's likely the software distro would be considerably locked-down to prevent kids from disabling the machine by fiddling with it.

Reply to
larwe