GPS modules ?

Could someone recommend a gps module suitable for use
in embedded projects (pic and lpc21xx) , robotics and hooking up to a
(laptop/pc with windows and osx drivers).

Either 3V or 5V powered, ASCI output via rs232 or i2c or spi - (NMEA 0183)
and under 10cm by 10cm (5cm by 5cm or under would be better).

Start up time isn't a concern , up to a couple of minutes  is fine

Quite a few out there, just wondering which ones people use more and
are fairly cheap , easy to use , reliable and rugged/robust.

I had a bit of a look at a few (first three look quite good)
UV40 - Laipac
TF30 - Laipac
Lassen iQ - Trimble

Rikaline GPS-23
Jupiter 12
Leadtek 9543

http://www.stepgps.com/products/trimble/lassenIQ.htm#physical
 http://www.embedtronics.com/GPS/lassenSQ.html

UV40 , TF30 and Lassen listed here
http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart20%9810&cat63%&

Rikaline
http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPath61%_63&products_id13%9

Jupiter and leadtek GPS-9543 - bit pricy
http://www.tdc.co.uk/starter_packs/index.htm#gps9543

Thanks
Alex Gibson

Re: GPS modules ?

Hey Alex, have you looked at Navman? I think they're over on your side
of the globe, NZ. See the Juptier Pico and Calisto.

http://www.navman.com/oem/products/index.html

I've used the Jupiter 11. Nice thing is they have a dead reckoning
input, for wheel sensors, so they can do a better job of predicting
motion. Reasonably priced, I thought.

--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com

How's the cricket going?

Seriously, though, I am a newbie, but have come across some interesting
articles on interfacing to GPS. One is in Everyday Practical Electronics,
Jan 2004 issue, ( go to web site for assembler code - you will have to muck
about a bit with their Assembler application software to translate it to
Microchip's MPASM format  -
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/downloads.html ), but it is very in -
depth.

Or, there has been a couple of articles in Nuts n Volts (USA) magazine using
the BASIC Stamp (search through www.parallax.com website for the article).

I think these projects used Garmin.

I can e-mail the first article or post it here if u like.

Cheeers

Dale

http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPath61%_63&products_id13%9

Re: GPS modules ?

Have you had a look at Freescale's (Motorola) FS Oncore?
http://www.synergy-gps.com/minimodule.html

Or even the old standy, Garmin?
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem /

Re: GPS modules ?
You can buy combined GPS modules and antennae for about $80 off the net (try
eBay).
These small devices can be obtained with either a standard RS232 or USB output.
They put out the information in standard NMEA format (which basically means that
it can be read directly by a microprocessor).
I am using them with a Picaxe08 micro to monitor the movement of cattle via a
small solar-powered collar around their neck. And for RC airplanes with a tiny
300 MHz (approx) transmitter from Oatley.

http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPath61%_63&products_id13%9

Re: GPS modules ?

   Digital cattle?  Sounds like something from a bad SCI-FI movie. ;)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ?

cattle via a
with a tiny

Tracking cattle by GPS seems to be a popular thing to do. There is a
picture here. http://ticsys.tamu.edu/entolcra.htm

Peter

Re: GPS modules ?

   I'd rather see them on usenet kooks, trolls and spammers so we could
make sure they don't get near a working computer.

   I'm sure they are quite useful to ranchers when livestock goes
missing.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ?
I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell
2005:

Mavericks arise! You have nothing to lose but your tracking devices!
(;-)
Re: GPS modules ?

Where, oh where, has my little dogie gone.

Bad doggerel, bad.

Re: GPS modules ?

   Check out: http://www.cowswithguns.com/ :)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ?
says...

Where are you going to put a troll or spammer that they wouldn't come
within the tracking error(say 20 meters in an urban canyon)  of a
working computer?
So how do the cows transmit back their position?  Or do they log
the positions to see where the cows go when they aren't watching?

Mark Borgerson

Re: GPS modules ?

   I was thinking more along the lines keeping them at the bottom of the
Grand Canyon.

   You've got me.  I haven't been near a live cow in almost 39 years.  I
prefer my cows already processed.  In fact, there's some beef cooking in
my crock pot full of chili right now.

   I didn't start the part about the digital cows, I just commented on
it.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ?

This has to be an opening for a 'Far Side' cartoon. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: GPS modules ?

   We can only hope he comes out of retirement to draw more of his silly
cartoons.  I kept a Far side calendar on my bench at work for several
years.  It was disappointing when they stopped printing them.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ?
what has this posting got to do with the subject? dude.

: "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:
: >
: > This has to be an opening for a 'Far Side' cartoon. ;-)
:
:
:   We can only hope he comes out of retirement to draw more of his
silly
: cartoons.  I kept a Far side calendar on my bench at work for several
: years.  It was disappointing when they stopped printing them.
:
: --
: ?
:
: Michael A. Terrell
: Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ? Far Side

 Check your sources ! I've got a 2005 model on my wall now.

-Hershel Roberson

Re: GPS modules ? Far Side

   I hadn't even looked for one after they announced they would no
longer be available in the US.  I've only visited the big bookstores a
couple times in the last couple years.  No electronics books or
magazines worth buying so when they said the 365 day "Cartoon a day"
calendar was no more I stopped going.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: GPS modules ? Far Side
In
aus.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,comp.robotics.misc,sci.electronics.design.
on Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:24:30 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

   Try the big bookstores' websites, they stock much more than the
retail stores. When you find what you want, you can check competitive
with comarison sites such as <http://addall.com . Hmm, searching for
Far Side Calendar returns current titles at links 5 and 6.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: GPS modules ?

(try eBay).

Can you give some more info on the ones you are using?

Thanks.

output.
means that
via a