GPRS in USA, Is It Available?

I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking system, but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS. Do any service providers support this in the US? I know that T-Mobile offers GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support. Do you pay by the number of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded?

I posted this question on alt.cellular too.

Thanks,

Bob F.

Reply to
Bob F.

AT&T (as of recently, part of Cingular) does.

It depends on your usage plan. I don't know if they have data-only plans, but the "default" data rate is $0.03/kb if you're on a voice plan that doesn't include any prepaid data. They do offer plans with significant discounts on data, apparently - every time I go into GPRS mode on my phone, it asks me if I want to sign up for one of those plans and warns me that if I don't, I'll be charged $0.03/k.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

it is aviliable in HONG KONG.

system,

Do

number

Reply to
arm_developer

Is you mission in life to piss people off? Go away MY_LINUX, that answer wasn't even an option.......

Reply to
Mood

I was/am/will be looking into M2M (machine to machine) communications using GSM. I was thinking of using a Rabbit Semiconductor solution or bit banging a Coldfire's serial port to control a Wavecom GSM modem.

As far as I remember, your one-stop shop would be to go to

You can get an 850 MHz (?) GSM modem solution which works both in Europe and now in the USA. I am not sure on pricing though, but Airdesk would be able to give you exact figures.

Reply to
Mike V.

mind your language and be polite.

system,

Do

offers

number

Reply to
arm_developer

You'll want to look at this:

It has a dual band GSM/GPRS modem (900/1900 MHz for US Kit, 900/1800 MHz for International Kit) -Brian

Brian Murtha