GPRS in USA, Is It Available?

I'm thinking about embedding a GSM module in a prototype tracking system,
but I'm having trouble determining what service providers support GPRS.  Do
any service providers support this in the US?  I know that T-Mobile offers
GSM services, I'm not clear on their GPRS support.  Do you pay by the number
of kilobytes uploaded/downloaded?

I posted this question on alt.cellular too.

Thanks,

Bob F.

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?

AT&T (as of recently, part of Cingular) does.

It depends on your usage plan. I don't know if they have data-only
plans, but the "default" data rate is $0.03/kb if you're on a voice
plan that doesn't include any prepaid data. They do offer plans with
significant discounts on data, apparently - every time I go into GPRS
mode on my phone, it asks me if I want to sign up for one of those
plans and warns me that if I don't, I'll be charged $0.03/k.

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?
it is aviliable in HONG KONG.

system,
Do
number

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?
Is you mission in life to piss people off? Go away MY_LINUX, that
answer wasn't even an option.......

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?
I was/am/will be looking into M2M (machine to machine) communications
using GSM. I was thinking of using a Rabbit Semiconductor solution or
bit banging a Coldfire's serial port to control a Wavecom GSM modem.

As far as I remember, your one-stop shop would be to go to
www.airdesk.net.
You can get an 850 MHz (?) GSM modem solution which works both in
Europe and now in the USA. I am not sure on pricing though, but
Airdesk would be able to give you exact figures.

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?
mind your language and be polite.

system,
Do
offers
number

Re: GPRS in USA, Is It Available?

You'll want to look at this:

 http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/M2M_App_Kit/index.shtml

It has a dual band GSM/GPRS modem (900/1900 MHz for US Kit, 900/1800
MHz for International Kit) -Brian

www.rabbitsemiconductor.com
www.zworld.com
www.imaginetools.com