Good UML Tools For Embedded System Design

Hi,

I work for a company that does automobile airbag software. Typical ROM sizes are well under 256K.

We are searching for a good tool for group software development that will capture a design and manipulate it (change it, print it, etc.).

Can anybody suggest anything they've had really good experience with? We'd like to investigate all suggestions.

Thanks a lot, Dave Ashley.

Reply to
David T. Ashley

We've had pretty good experience with IAR VisualState. Generates reasonable code from (essentially) UML statecharts. Not a full UML, however, if you're just looking to capture design information.

For example, one project had about 12 state machines, more than 60 total states, required a little over 5k ROM space. Of that, about

2.5k was our support code (device interface, initialization, etc.). So the state machines themselves and the code to drive them took less than 3k. It seems to scale well -- Quadrupling the number of states (15 -> 60) resulted in a less than 50% increase (>2k ->
Reply to
Dave Hansen

LOL

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Umm, why?

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

256K of code to decide when to pop an air bag???

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

It sounds insane, but maybe there's some sophisticated processing going on to detect crash signatures from raw accelerometer and other data. Still..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Cripes, that's scared me sh*tless! There's me driving along with an explosive device a foot from my nose with a complex crash detection system implemented in software controlling it. Worse than that, the software is written by someone else! Life behind the wheel will never be the same again... :-)

Mark.

Reply to
markp

At least that'll only inflate an airbag - if you wish to be paranoid, worry about what's controlling ABS and traction control!

--
Paul Black                        mailto:paul.black@oxsemi.com
Oxford Semiconductor Ltd          http://www.oxsemi.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Black

...and only now are they looking for a tool to design the stuff with.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Okey

Nah, that's about three lines of code.

if(wheel == STOPPED) ReleaseBrakeForABit();

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

You can try EventStudio, a CASE tool design specifically for embedded system design.

Sandeep

Reply to
EventHelix.com

Deja vu all over again! The following is from a thread 7+ years ago on this newsgroup referring to engine management systems. The thread was "Can OO be successful in real-time embedded systems?" I was the poster of what I thought was some useful info about program sizes.

I still love the "I am apalled" comment!!!

And yes, I did respond, and he didn't comment any further. 8-)

Enjoy,

-=Dave=-

P.S.: Current systems are running twice the size of these examples. Uh-oh--I'm in for it now. ;-)

Reply to
Dave

Wonderful. Just shows how little has been learnt in the last 7 years.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell