good tutorial for programming AVRs?

Hi - I finally have the capability to write programs to AVRs. It has been quite the challenge to get to this point! So now - can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to program AVRs? From everything that I've read - it would be best for me to start by learning assembler, and then later moving on to C. By the way - my only programming experience is with VB6 (though I haven't touched VB for over a year now) So - can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks a ton!!

Reply to
Michael

Micro AVR programming tutorial (no pun intended):

Decide on a clock speed. The "strange" crystals (3.6864 MHz and so on) are better fits for standard serial rates; the next step up (e.g., 4) squeezes out a bit more performance.

Initialize the I/O ports: input or output, pull-up or not (for input), initial state (for output).

Initialize the peripherals that you may want to use: timers, UARTS, A/D, SPI, I2C, ...

Write code.

If you need a place to start, a good first program for any new microcontroller (sort of the equivalent of "Hello, World!") is to simply flash an LED at a 1 Hz rate using one if the timer peripherals. That requires getting to know an I/O port, a timer setup, and how to handle interrupts.

Get over to

for more, ah, in-depth information. Specifically, look at

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon_heller@hotmail.com

I've enjoyed this site. You need to look past some of the grammatical / spelling mistakes due to translation from German.

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul Howard

If you are wanting to start out with assembler, Glen Hathaway has made several examples available here:

Cheers,

-Brian

--
Brian Dean, bsd@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board