good tutorial for programming AVRs?

Hi - I finally have the capability to write programs to AVRs. It has been
quite the challenge to get to this point! So now - can anyone point me to a
good tutorial on how to program AVRs? From everything that I've read - it
would be best for me to start by learning assembler, and then later moving
on to C. By the way - my only programming experience is with VB6 (though I
haven't touched VB for over a year now) So - can anyone point me in the
right direction? Thanks a ton!!

Re: good tutorial for programming AVRs?
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:56:25 GMT, Michael

Micro AVR programming tutorial (no pun intended):

Decide on a clock speed. The "strange" crystals (3.6864 MHz and so on)
are better fits for standard serial rates; the next step up (e.g., 4)
squeezes out a bit more performance.

Initialize the I/O ports: input or output, pull-up or not (for input),
initial state (for output).

Initialize the peripherals that you may want to use: timers, UARTS, A/D,
SPI, I2C, ...

Write code.

If you need a place to start, a good first program for any new
microcontroller (sort of the equivalent of "Hello, World!") is to simply
flash an LED at a 1 Hz rate using one if the timer peripherals. That
requires getting to know an I/O port, a timer setup, and how to handle
interrupts.

Get over to www.avrfreaks.com for more, ah, in-depth information.
Specifically, look at
http://www.avrfreaks.com/Freaks/Articles/newbie/intro.php

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: good tutorial for programming AVRs?

Atmel has just published Issue 1 of their Atmel Applications Journal,
devoted to the AVR. There is some good introductory stuff in it. You should
be able to subscribe via the web site.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

http://www.avr-asm-tutorial.net/index.html

Regards,
Paul

Re: good tutorial for programming AVRs?

If you are wanting to start out with assembler, Glen Hathaway has made
several examples available here:

    http://hathaway.hypermart.net/robotics /

Cheers,
-Brian
--
Brian Dean, snipped-for-privacy@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board