Good Protocol for Muxing/Demuxing comms channel ?

I have two MCUs talking to each other via a synchronous link through
an EPLD. The one MCU (ATMEGA162) is used to extend the number of
UARTs available. I have gotten the link between the two MCUs to work
without problems, but I now need to basically have 3 virtual channels
through this one synchronous link. USART0, USART1 and a control
channel to set baud rate etc.  I have this sort of working, but I am
finding that the flow control of the different virtual channels are a
bit of a problem. I am experiencing buffer overflow problems when
either of the two USARTs are set to a low baud rate. Are there
any standard protocols for handling this sort of problem ?

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline