Good Micrprocessor EVB design

I'm supposed to come up with a evaluation board for a 8bit processor.
Over the years I have used many EVBs, including some of the classics
(68000 ed. board), 6800 EVB, etc... I have also designed some myself.
I know what I like; however, I'm curious to find out what others find
as good elements of a useful EVB.

Thanks, -ingo
--
/* Ingo Cyliax, snipped-for-privacy@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design

-Breakouts for any i/o port pins.

-A series of pushbuttons which can be connected to any input port with
jumper wires.

-A series of LEDs which can be connected to any output port with jumper
wires.

-If the uC features an A/D converter - a couple of pots so that you can
verify that you've figured it out properly.

-Perhaps a small LCD display?

-Onboard voltage regulator, so that accidentally applying 5V instead of
3.3V won't kill it. Most convenient. :)

-CMOS<->RS-232 interfacing (Or perhaps rather CMOS<->USB, as newer
computers often lack serial ports)

Oh, and a reset switch, of course.

And a lot more, I guess - but then again, less is more.

--
73 de LB1LF

    Odd Erling, ARK

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:19:51 +0000 (UTC), "Odd Erling N. Eriksen"

Yes.  I hate in when you get a board and the manufacturers are so
cheap that they can't be bothered to put on something essential like a
voltage regulator.

Dan

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design

I blew out a WLAN access point because there were two
power supplies on the table next to it, both labelled with
the same manufacturer's name, and both with the same sized
plug, and yet they supplied different voltages... Maybe
leaving out the power regulator was their way of boosting
sales?

--
Darin Johnson
    "You used to be big."

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
Serial port, IO, LED's, switches, buttons, LCD,

Some that where missed.
C compiler, ethernet??? onboard ram chip to work with?

I have been quite happy with my zilog board. comes with a very complete
C compiler and I/O

http://zilog.com/products/partdetails.asp?id=Z8F04A28100KIT

Mike

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
Motorola has an interesting evaluation setup for their 16-bit S12E128
MCU. The main board has the MCU, LEDs, RS232 & RS485 drivers, the
voltage regulator and a BDM port for debug/programming. The breakout
every pin on the micro using 2 large headers, one on either side of the
board. They also supply addon cards (which you can plug onto the
headers) for:

1. Prototyping space
2. Ethernet connectivity
3. Lots of buttons and LEDs
4. Addon external RAM

You can plug in what you want to test and use the other pins for GPIO.
If you don't need the external RAM (the MCU has 4k of internal RAM),
then you can use those pins for other stuff.

Other people can create add-on boards to meet a specific target
audience. Which is great for you if all you're trying to do it spread
awareness of the MCU.

If you ruin one prototyping board, you just need to go out and get
yourself (or make one yourself). No need to spend a stiff sum on the
entire board. I feel this would promote creativity :).

For my applications, I would rather communicate with the board using an
addon RS232 card (with necessary isolation) than use the built in USB
port. This way if I made a mistake grounding the different parts of my
system, I do not end up with paper-weight for a computer.

I am not so sure that the RS232 port will go away entirely except on
the really low cost PCs. Even MS, who removed RS232 support in .NET 1.x
has reinstated it in .NET 2.0.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M68EVB912E128&parentCode=MC9S12E128&nodeId01%62468636K100

-- Arya

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design

Somewhere to clip a scope probe ground lead.

A header with all the (logic) signals on it, so you can make up a cable to
plug into a logic analyzer, instead of having to connect lots of fiddly
individual test clips.

Mounting holes.

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
A power reverse protection. I never understand that some companies
deliver development kits that don't include a  cheap scotcky diode in
the power path....

I also like the Silicon Labs (ex Cygnal) dev kits. They include a
(expensive)high-density edge connector with all signals. Nice for
building prototypes that connects to it.

Stijn

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
Hi,

the design must be tested and verified, so it really becomes a reference
design.
You can then copy the circuit & layout to your own application.

Regards

Jens

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:56:52 +0100, in comp.arch.embedded "Jens

snip

And gerbers or DXF files that work. ie import into the majority of PCB
cad systems

martin

 "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
Gandhi

Re: Good Micrprocessor EVB design
Hello Ingo,

You have received some good suggestions already. I'd like to add one:

Keep in mind that most "modern" laptops will neither feature RS232 nor a
parallel port. Just USB, that's it. Converters to re-create these
"legacy ports" from USB often don't work in a realtime programming
scheme so you almost have to provide a path to program your EVB from USB.

The only other ports newer laptops offer are Ethernet, a modem and maybe
wireless. But these may not be so suitable for programming. Although a
wireless download scheme would be kind of cool.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline