Good low cost laptop for embedded work? - Page 2

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

No, no, it IS very bad indeed. Besides the fact that Wal-Mart was (until
I came along - see comp.sys.laptops) falsely advertising it with a
different CPU than that actually fitted (and the BIOS is hacked to report
fraudulent CPU info, by the way), it really isn't a machine I could
recommend to anyone. Even with the 8-cell battery, it only gets 80 minutes
of runtime. Have a look at my review,
<http://www.larwe.com/technical/ecsa535.html - it has a summary of the
Wal-Mart debacle.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
My apologies, I stand corrected, I had no idea somebody would propagate such
a fraud on everyone.
Especially coming from such a big seller too.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

|| The $545 Walmart laptopn isn't bad, but the 14" LCD sucks a lot of power,
|
| No, no, it IS very bad indeed. Besides the fact that Wal-Mart was (until
| I came along - see comp.sys.laptops) falsely advertising it with a
| different CPU than that actually fitted (and the BIOS is hacked to report
| fraudulent CPU info, by the way), it really isn't a machine I could
| recommend to anyone. Even with the 8-cell battery, it only gets 80 minutes
| of runtime. Have a look at my review,
| <http://www.larwe.com/technical/ecsa535.html - it has a summary of the
| Wal-Mart debacle.

From your review:

"Overall it is a good value. If you don't need to do games or video editing,
this is a competent laptop and the price is just right. Given its design
limitations, I'd give this product four and a half stars out of five. It
loses the half-star solely because of the flimsy touchpad buttons."

If that isn't a recommendation I don't know what is.

--
MT

To reply directly, please take "your dick" out of my address.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
[...]

Rewarding deceit with 4-1/2 stars??? How about 0.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

Hmm yes. It is in reverse chronological order, of course. For the last few
months I have only been working on the top. I guess I better edit that.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
Hi Earl,

It is a Compaq Contura 410 (not the smaller Aero). 12" or so B/W screen
which is all I really ever need. The case cracked all around the
perimeter and it can't run any newer Windows for lack of memory
capacity. Battery life is not the #1 priority but helpful because in
debugging you have to move around quite a bit. And the power outlets are
usually behind a clutter of other gear and tons of cabling.

Just got a flier from Dell for a $599 deal on the Inspiron 1000.
Couldn't find that on the web site but maybe that works as a laptop.
However, battery life ain't great and no RS232 :-(

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:46:54 GMT, Joerg

IBM Thinkpad: great battery life and build quality. Plenty of second hand
ones around. Panasonic Toughbook is another option if it's going to see a
lot of a abuse, but I don't know what their battery life is like.

-- Mat.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

For me, the lab is the penultimate stopping place for desktops before
they become one with the landfill -- why use a laptop at all?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If your lab is in a constant state of being reconfigured, it's
a royal PITA to keep shuffling desktop machines around from one
bench to another.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Everything
                                  at               is....FLIPPING AROUND!!

PC104 stacks in ruggedized cans are *easier* to shuffle from
one bench to another than laptops are.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

And they have keboards and displays?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  KARL MALDEN'S NOSE
                                  at               just won an ACADEMY AWARD!!

Mine has a small 640x480 LCD display and a mini-keyboard hooked
to it.  I can still tuck the whole system under my arm, and it
takes less benchtop space than any laptop.

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:55:49 -0800, the renowned Tim Wescott

Yes.

Depending on what you're working on, there may be some advantage to
having the ports isolated from earth if you're doing ISP kind of stuff
on prototypes etc. Otherwise you may be one error away from disaster
rather than two.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?
Hi Tim,

Yes, if it were just my lab. But then comes the time where things have
to be tried out at the customer or sometimes in the field. The real
field where the next power pole could be a couple miles behind the
Klondike. Also, you have to fit it all into your carry-on, along with
the nice slacks, shirt and tie for the final presentation to the big guys.

Totally OT: Is there a version of your PID article that has the figures
inside the text? I think that paper is just the ticket to show someone
how feedback works in daily life. Seems they don't learn much of that at
college nowadays.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Good low cost laptop for embedded work?

Theoretically ESP magazine owns the rights to that.  I need to get off
my fat ass and write another article that I can post with a clear
conscience.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services