GNUARM 3.4.1

Hello group.

GNUARM 3.4.1 for Linux and Cygwin has been released. It is built upon binutils 2.15, gcc 3.4.1 and newlib 1.12.0. You can find it at

or

The Cygwin installer has received some improvements, now it is possible to choose the library sets one wishes to install. The PATH modification bug has been fixed.

The Linux version uses insight 6.1, however the Cygwin version uses insight 6.0 because 6.1 has some issues (even at compile time with the latest Cygwin).

Please report any errors you face and, most importantly, enjoy!

Best regards.

-- /"The three most dangerous things in the world are PabloBleyerKocik / a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware pbleyer2004 / type with a program patch and a user with an idea." @embedded.cl / -- The Wizardry Compiled, by Rick Cook

Reply to
Pablo Bleyer Kocik

Hi Pablo,

Do you know if this will work with building a modern Linux kernel 2.6.x ? Any known issues? How about an older 2.4.x kernel. I have a 2.4.2 kernel I've been using on a StrongARM 1110 processor. I've been using the 2.95.3 version of gcc.

Has anyone used this version of gcc to build a Linux kernel...

Best Regards,

Edwin Bland

Reply to
Edwin Bland

Hello Edwin.

Well, not with this particular version but GNUARM 3.4.0 was used to build a recent version of uClinux for ARM without major issues.

It really depends what you want to do. The GNUARM distribution uses newlib for the C library because it gives the best compromise in size and functionality for most embedded ARM systems. If you want a full blown glibc-based Linux environment then it is safer --and I would suggest-- to use a glibc-based cross toolchain in a Linux machine because this is the mainstream (see

For deeply constrained memory systems then using GNUARM with uClibc instead of newlib is a good choice.

Because there has to be binary compatibility the compiler is the same in all versions, but header files and library dependability could result in repercussions.

Hope this helps. And let us know if you end up using GNUARM for compiling a glibc-based Linux environment ;^)

Regards.

-- PabloBleyerKocik /"This time it was right, it would work, pbleyer2004 / and no one would have to get nailed to @embedded.cl / anything." -- H.G.T.T.G., Douglas Adams

Reply to
Pablo Bleyer Kocik

Thanks Pablo!

It sounds like if I were instead using a LPC2106 based ARM cpu with small amounts of memory then the uClibc library should work OK ... but the compiler should work fine.

Thanks for the info!

Edwin

?

kernel