Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

Pursuant to my questions here recently, and a week and a half of
slaving inside PCM-5820 BIOS code, I've updated my Linux-on-Geode-SBCs
information page. <http://www.larwe.com/technical/geode_linux.html
for everyone who's interested.

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated
On 11 Sep 2003 21:55:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)

Thanks Lewin.  I don't use audio, so most of my problems are gone, but
I have called up my board supplier (Acrosser) to find out how to get
them not to update the BIOS rev and not tell us.

I think I'll pick up a copy of your book too.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

Yeah - I can't tell you how pissed off I was (am) at Advantech for
sneaking this in. It wouldn't be so bad, if they hadn't revved the
hardware as well... it would have meant sending out a few reflash CDs
but we could have stomached that.

The one good thing to come out of it all is that I was previously
unaware of how to customize the Award BIOS. I've also learned a lot
about the Geode's architecture - previously I was using it largely as
a black box. As I nurse my evening pint, I console myself with the
thought that it has been a splendid learning experience.

I doubt you need it - but thanks :) Every copy sold gains valuable
brownie points with my publisher, so if my next book is a dismal
failure I'll still have a shot at a third ;) (memo to self.. must work
hard this weekend).

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

We had similar problems with Advantech and BIOS revisions.  We ended up
having our incoming inspection folks eyeball each board and determine the
BIOS revision.  New revisions would prompt a phone call to the engineers to
hit the Advantech web site and see what changed.  We were using a
locally-modified BIOS in our product and if the revision didn't affect us
we'd just use an older modified BIOS.  If the revision was worthwhile, we'd
modify the stock BIOS with our extensions.

Kelly

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

We *USED* to be signed up for Advantech ECNs. Due to some administrative
error related to the way we initially made contact with Advantech, we
dropped off the notify list. That's why we never found out about the revs.

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

LOL - I never knew they had such a thing ;)

Kelly

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated
Does anyone know how to set framebuffer (if possible) on PCM 5820 to 320x240
resolution?

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated

320x240

Either use BIOS calls to do it, or use my patches to the nsc_drv.o driver.
The current X distri doesn't work with scandoubled video modes due to a bug.

svgalib also works (through BIOS).

Re: Geode on Linux - tech info page updated
Thanks, Lewin.   What is nsc_drv.o?  Is it a framebuffer driver that will
allow me to use console and Qt/Embedded applications or is it X-server
specific?

bug.

Site Timeline