Gcc Tools for AVR Studio

There is a new gcc distribution on the Atmel Website for avr
controller.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id97%72

It contains avr-gcc 3.4.0 with Dwarf debug format support and an
Elf/Dwarf parser component for AVR Studio.

Has anybody experience with this distribution ?

Klaus

Re: Gcc Tools for AVR Studio

I've just installed it. It looks very like the avr-gcc tools that have been
around for some time. I haven't tried it yet.

Leon

Re: Gcc Tools for AVR Studio

No, but I'm sure the next release of WinAVR will be built with DWARF
support to support this beta release of AVR Studio.

Re: Gcc Tools for AVR Studio

Why another debugging format?  What was wrong with COFF?

Sometimes I get irritated by what seems to be just new formats for the
sake of new formats.

Well, if there's a good reason I guess I'll settle down.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

Quite a lot, actually, if you're talking about genuine COFF debug info
(as opposed to embedding .stabs debug info inside a separate section
of a COFF file).

For starters, COFF is quite completely useless as soon as you have
#include'd files that actually generate code, because it has no way of
specifying more than a single source file name per object file for the
line numbers in the debug info to refer to.  If you're even thinking
of using inline function, let alone C++, that one's an almost certain
showstopper.  Actually anything short of DWARF2 is considered unusable
for C++ debugging by the experts.

And then there are some rather silly limitations, e.g. to a maxiumum
of 64 Ki-lines of source code with debug information --- unlikely to
bite you on an AVR, yes, but still a rather nasty limit if you ever
hit it.

Re: Gcc Tools for AVR Studio

Well, I see then!

Thanks for the explanation.