gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

I need an m68k crosscompiler for cygwin.  I see binaries for
gcc-m68k-palmos (prc-tools).  Will this work (no palmos on my target
platform)?

If not, does anyone know where I can get a cygwin binary for gcc-m68k?
Googling only turned up one web page and it was out of data.  :(
Many thanks!

Jim

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

I recently went thru the pain of setting this up. My steps...

(1) Download cygwin environment (from www.cygwin.com) free-lets you run Unix
(2) Download PALM-5.3-SDK (from www.palmos.com) free-has includes for C
source
(3) Download prc-tools (from prc-tools.sourceforge.net) free-tailors cygwin
environment to generate m68k code using m68k-palmos-gcc

Hope this helps

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

Go to http://www.baradas.org . There is a link for a patched version
of gcc for coldfire. The compiler can be configured to generate code
for the m68k including support for the "interrupt" attribute. Only
source is available, but it builds without problems under cygwin.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

It should, maybe it is pre-selected to generate DragonBall code.
But with -m68000 (both compiler and linker) it should be possible.

Also you might need to use -nostartfiles for linking and provide your
own linker script as the default might be taylored for PalmOS.

--
42Bastian
Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

Since you are not using palmos, it's probably best to avoid their binaries.

I think the most common source for modern binaries of gcc-m68k these days
is from ucLinux: http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/uclinux-elf-tools/gcc-3 /

There are also pre-build binaries for RTEMS, and many suppliers of
ColdFire/68k cards have binaries for downloading.

You can build it yourself easily enough:
    http://www.davehylands.com/avi/compile_instructions_for_gcc.htm

You can also buy ready-made setups with everything you need - for example,
Cybertec has a kit for around $140 at
http://www.cybertec.com.au/crossfire.htm

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos
Thanks everyone for your responses!  I already have cygwin, I just
wanted to avoid building the binaries.  I'm on Win98 at home and I read
in newsgroups cygwin can be a little touchy with that OS.

As for using coldfire gcc, I think I should avoid that.  Coldfire has
some unique instructions (floating point, multiply-accumulate, etc.)
that aren't compatible with my target micro (Dragonball).

Let me be more specific about my query concerning prc-tools.  There's a
patch for gcc.  I looked at the .diff file (first time I've seen one)
and I saw something for PIC.  That doesn't matter too much for me.
But, isn't that a gcc option anyways?  I also saw stuff about r9.  The
rest I couldn't understand.  I did see an option getting added for
-palmos, so as 42Bastian implied, the -m68k optiion is still supported,
so it should work.

I was all set to try the prc-tools first, but now I remember:  libc.
Prc-tools isn't built with newlib, but with libc oriented towards
PalmOs.  Shoot.  I guess I'll build a cross compiler.

David, thanks much for the davehylands link!  I hadn't seen that one.
I'll try that script for building.  Although at work we pay for
precompiled gcc, I'm too cheap to lay out that money for a home project
:).  Also, the binaries we purchased were a real pain to install and
work correctly (took DAYS) and would only work on WinNT and above.

Jim

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos

Yes, building the gcc toolset from source under Win98/cygwin rarely
works. I have managed it once or twice, but under W2K or WXP
you have a much higher chance that it will work.

The gcc for Coldfire is the same gcc as for m68k. You just need to
specifify the exact variant you are using. e.g -m68060 for the
68060. The instructions the compiler emits are specific to the
variant chosen.

[Snipped]

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: gcc m68k versus mc8k-palmos
Just a followup.  I failed building gcc under cygwin & win98.  Got some
error about vfork and "unable to get resource".  A google search said
it was a common error & no workaround.

So, I built the tool on my linux box.  It built ok, but I see the
following error in the gcc-newlib-install.log:

for file in ./m68k-elf/bits/stdc++.h.gch/*; do \
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $file
/usr/local/m68k/include/c++/3.4.3/./m68k-elf/bits/stdc++.h.gch; done
/usr/bin/install: ./m68k-elf/bits/stdc++.h.gch/*: No such file or
directory

Googling says it's precompiled header stuff, so I don't think that'll
affect me much, if any.  I'll write a small program and check the
assembler & bin files.

Mogens:  yes I plan to make a rommable version of the binary.

Anton:  thanks for suggesting the -m68k option.  I had assumed the
coldfire version only supported coldfire, and nothing else (no cpu
options).

Well, thanks again for your inputs!

Jim

Site Timeline