gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

Hi all,

I'd like to compile my own set of tools for ARM developing, that is gcc,
possibly 3.3.1 (the latest). I need to get ahold of some tutorial on how to
build a gcc cross-compiler for ARM on Linux, or Windows 2000.

I had tried to build gcc-arm with gcc 3.2, but it failed to compile
properly. Only gcc 3.0.3 seemed to work, but I want a more recent gcc.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

It is possible to build gcc 3.3 for ARM, I actively use it.
(thumb, big endian)

What problem do you exactly get?

Wumpus

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?
Maybe it's the fact that I'm trying to use 'newlib'.

What C standard library do you use?

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

I think that's the problem, I never tried compiling newlib.  (it should
be possible though, but you need to patch some stuff)

I use the one that's with eCos.

Wumpus

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?
I'm in the process of compiling gcc 3.3.1 for ARM. I've been successful
compiling 3.3 under Cygwin with Newlib. So I don't think that's the problem.
But without any diagnostics it's really hard to help...

Andras Tantos

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

 These are the steps I use for ARM7TDMI default. It also works for
other arm targets changing the respective modifiers. This works under
Linux and CygWin with the latest GCC/Binutils/Newlib toolchain
(3.3.1/2.14/1.11.0). For MingW32 a lot of online patching is needed,
so I don't recommend using it. Beware that there are still some gcc
compilation glitches for ARM targets in the GCC 3.3 series.

Binutils:
% cd
% /configure --prefix=
--target=arm-thumb-elf
% make
% make install

GCC (compiler only):
% export PATH="$PATH:/bin"
% cd
% /configure --prefix=
--target=arm-thumb-elf --enable-targets=arm-elf --with-cpu=arm7tdmi
--enable-interwork --enable-multilib --with-newlib --disable-threads
--disable-shared --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --with-stabs
--with-headers=/newlib/libc/include
--enable-languages=c,c++,java
% make all-gcc
% make install-gcc

Newlib:
% cd
% /configure --prefix=
--target=arm-thumb-elf --with-cpu=arm7tdmi --enable-multilib
--enable-interwork --disable-threads --disable-shared --with-gnu-ld
--with-gnu-as --enable-targets=arm-elf
% make
% make install

GCC (full build now):
% cd
% make all
% make install

 So that's it. It ain't rocket science after all!

 Cheers.

--                /"I knew then (in 1970) that a 4-kbyte minicomputer
PabloBleyerKocik / would cost as much as a house. So I reasoned that
after
 pbleyer        / college, I'd have to live cheaply in an apartment
and
  @embedded.cl / put all my money into owning a computer." - Steve
Wozniak

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

I am a hardware engineer and not at all familiar with linux or GNU or
Cygwin, etc.  I would like to be able to use the tools without having to
build them.  If anyone wishes to provide binaries for Win2k and/or other
versions, I should be able to host them on my web site for others to
download.  I know I am not the only one to want these tools without
having to learn how to build them.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?
You can download the 3.3 binaries from my website:
http://tantos.homelinux.org/andras /. These are Win binaries hosted under
Cygwin, but hopefully all required DLLs are packed in so you're ready to go.

Regards,
Andras Tantos

gcc,
how to

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

Thanks, downloading them right now.
Unfortunately, it failed to compile properly on my Cygwin:
kept crashing very early during the 'make' of binutils.
No idea why... so if you can tell me how you built them
(what sources you used, which host gcc version...)

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?
Hmmm. It was quite some time. I guess I've used the options, documented on
the page. I've used some 3.0 compiler I think. The one that normally comes
with cygwin should do though it does not contain the ADA compiler so you
won't get ADA out of your sources if you use that. I have never had problems
compiling binutils so I really don't know what went wrong in your case. I
wasn't successful in compiling an ARM cross toolset with the coff object
format. Some source says it's not supported, some says it is, so I'm a bit
confused there. The sources I've grabbed from the gcc and binutils website,
respectively. I got the newlib sources from their CVS repository.

Regrads,
Andras Tantos

go.

Re: gcc 3.3.1 for ARM?

go.

Please show us the failure message if you still have them.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Site Timeline