Ganssle: ESD is kaput

It's not mentioned at Embedded.com (now

but Jack Ganssle is reporting that Embedded Systems Design (ESD) is ceasing publication with the May issue. It's been shrinking steadily over the last few years and I guess it's about time for it to finally evaporate away into the aether.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

It does seem that it's been just an outlet for Gannsle, Crenshaw and a shrinking number of advertisers for several years now.

I'm sure that there's some clever Latin quote that applies. For some reason, tyrannosaus, time, and arrows come to mind. ;-)

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

And to be fair, the parent "EE Times" is carrying quite a lot of embedded content now. I'll miss Jack Crenshaw's ruminations, though (I was a math major in a previous lifetime ;-). He implied last fall in a post over at comp.soft-sys.math.scilab that he was retiring, so I guess the jig is up or the theropod has gone home to roost or something ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I remember reading an issue in 1989 for the first time in the second company I worked for. Until then, I didn't know that *we* were doing "embedded systems"!

Add to that that I live in Spain, and the translation of "embedded" into Spanish in this sense is not standardised yet: you can use "empotrado", "encastrado", "embebido", "sistemas con inteligencia integrada"... and everyone not in the business will look at you puzzled and not knowing what you *really* do (or believeing that you make cupboards and wardrobes!)

These days, whenever a new acquaintance asks me what I do, I simply say: "I invent things". :-)

I will miss that magazine in paper.

--
Saludos.
Ignacio G.T.

The same here, we don't have a word conveying the real meaning, we use words like "embarqu=E9", "enfoui". The first one refers too strongly to equipment on board a vehicle and the second a deeply hidden piece of electronics. People in general don't have an idea about what is an embedded system although they use them everyday. That could be the ransom of success, too well hidden to be noticeable.

Reply to
Lanarcam