FT245AM - lost USB device?

we are using a FT245AM connected USB printer in our embedded machine which
is running Linux. For any reason sometimes the device is lost. Since we do
not know if it is caused by hardware, printer firmware or operating system
I'm looking for people with similar experiences and maybe workarounds.

Regards, Klaus

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?

I had nightmares with this kind of stuff, I was cursing FTDI as idiots
until I tried it on another computer. It worked perfectly, without any
problems whatsoever, apparently forever (though I didn't test it that
long). The problem was the PC chipset (SiS in this case). Yes, even big
famous companies can make mistakes.

Paul Burke

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?
On some PC's I noticed the same problems (with FT232BM),
how can I see what USB chipset is used ?

Stef Mientki

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?
see alimentation parameters in usb host : when no activitie the usb host
stop particulary with all usb serial and parallel devices : prolifics or
ftdi
try to connect without usb hub and with usb1.1
i have the same probleme with thinkpad and nec laptop : now its ok

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?
Hi,

please explain, what do you mean with "alimentation parameters in usb host"?

Klaus

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?

"alimentation" = "power" in French.

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?

If the PC runs Linux perhaps this gives enough info for you:

   lspci | grep USB

On windows goto 'Device Manager'

Joop

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?

Using Windows, Control Panel->System->Device Manager->USB Controllers
will tell you what type of USB devices are in use.

Paul Burke

Re: FT245AM - lost USB device?

There is a utility called "usbview.exe" from Microsoft.  If it is not
already installed on your PC then you can get a copy from several
sources, one of which is FTDI.  Probably need to browse around in
their application notes and downloads/utilties area to find it.

A quick Google shows that some people have found it on the Win98 CD
in Tools\ResKit\diagnose\

Rob Young
rwy_nospam_ snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org

Site Timeline