FT245AM - lost USB device?

Hi, we are using a FT245AM connected USB printer in our embedded machine which is running Linux. For any reason sometimes the device is lost. Since we do not know if it is caused by hardware, printer firmware or operating system I'm looking for people with similar experiences and maybe workarounds.

Regards, Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Hitschler

I had nightmares with this kind of stuff, I was cursing FTDI as idiots until I tried it on another computer. It worked perfectly, without any problems whatsoever, apparently forever (though I didn't test it that long). The problem was the PC chipset (SiS in this case). Yes, even big famous companies can make mistakes.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

On some PC's I noticed the same problems (with FT232BM), how can I see what USB chipset is used ?

Stef Mientki

Paul Burke wrote:

Reply to
Stef Mientki

see alimentation parameters in usb host : when no activitie the usb host stop particulary with all usb serial and parallel devices : prolifics or ftdi try to connect without usb hub and with usb1.1 i have the same probleme with thinkpad and nec laptop : now its ok

"Stef Mientki" a écrit dans le message de news:cdqr91$mam$ snipped-for-privacy@odysseus.uci.kun.nl...

Reply to
macaby

Hi,

please explain, what do you mean with "alimentation parameters in usb host"?

Klaus

macaby wrote:

Reply to
Klaus Hitschler

"alimentation" = "power" in French.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

If the PC runs Linux perhaps this gives enough info for you:

lspci | grep USB

On windows goto 'Device Manager'

Joop

Reply to
Joop

Using Windows, Control Panel->System->Device Manager->USB Controllers will tell you what type of USB devices are in use.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

There is a utility called "usbview.exe" from Microsoft. If it is not already installed on your PC then you can get a copy from several sources, one of which is FTDI. Probably need to browse around in their application notes and downloads/utilties area to find it.

A quick Google shows that some people have found it on the Win98 CD in Tools\ResKit\diagnose\

Rob Young rwy_nospam snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org

Reply to
Rob Young