FT232BM USB<->RS-232 converter IC

Hi Everyone -

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the flow control signals (RTS,
CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD) on the RS-232 side of the FT232BM converter chip
are required for the USB<->RS-232 conversion process.  Can I convert a
3-wire RS-232 data source without flow control to USB and vice-versa
with this chip?

Many thanks,

Dan

Re: FT232BM USB<->RS-232 converter IC

Yes. Connect the inputs DSR, CTS and DCD to fixed active state.

Micha

Re: FT232BM USB<->RS-232 converter IC

No

Yes

But take not of timing (delay) impact of the transport over USB. There
are appnotes on the FDI site about this. Read them.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: FT232BM USB<->RS-232 converter IC

You are mixing things. The data over the USB will be sent in blocks,
check the FTDI site for how this causes delays and what you can do
about it. Data from FTDI to outside can be non-hansdhaked,
hw-handshaked, or sw (xon/xoff) handshaked. Idem for data from outside
into the FTDI, but that is ieasier to handle with a big buffer in the
PC.

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting