FreeRTOS and newlib - comments requested

I'd appreciate any comments from those of you who have used (or tried to use) this combo, especially if I've gotten anything wrong or missed anything...

Thanks in advance, Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler

o:

Thanks very interesting, good to know, I'm (I hope) starting a new project in a near future and was thinking on using a Kinetis and FreeRTOS.

The only thing I can add is that KDS examples are in general not very usefu l (they don't explain much and often badly coded). And also the KSDK is not bug free (at least until version 2.x, don't know a bout v3), it seems they didn't test it properly.

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

I never use SDKs, just because of those things enumerated above. I usually have the SDKs at hand, to look into when the manuals are not very clear. Every manufacturer seems to want to have one, probably because this is the trend, but in fact it's more hurt than help. You really cannot rely on the SDK only, without reading the manuals. Because the documentation of the SDK is very poor, partly because it would double the effort for the manufacturer. So, what shall you study? the SDK or the manual? Usually you need both.

And the coding is most of the time a nightmare. I remember when I tried using a SDK for a new microcontroller (to me). It was almost impossible to write a "some_long_identifier = some_other_long_identifier;" on a single line :) And if you have to write this kind of code: some_long_register_name = SOME_LONG_BIT_DEFINITION | SOME_OTHER_LONG_BIT_DEFINITION | SOME_YET_ANOTHER_LONG_BIT_DEFINITION; You must use a single identifier on a line :) Not to say about function calls with multiple arguments... You just can't type anymore. Editing code is only a series of copy/paste.

Reply to
raimond.dragomir

tto:

.

The K64 has been a good part, one shipping product and starting a 2nd, howe ver...

The SDK is extremely buggy, and SDK behavior and interface unstable across versions. For half the peripherals I had to write my own drivers. The examples are typically not set up properly (see the link above). And the Freescale 'support' is the worst I have ever encountered. Note this is for Kinetis series; iMX may be much better.

Hopefully NXP will clean house as they integrate Freescale. I had great experiences with NXP on a few former LPCxxx projects.

We'll see...

Reply to
Dave Nadler

I get: Not Found The requested URL /embedded/draft1_newlibAndFreeRTOS.html was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Sorry, its offline while I correct a few errors found by reviewers. I'll post when draft2 (or final version) is up. Thanks!

Reply to
Dave Nadler

I'd like to see it when it comes up.

Does newlib advertise itself as being thread-safe? I kinda vaguely remember the answer is "yes", but dunno.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Newlib does advertise that it CAN be thread safe if configured to be so. It has hooks that can provide the needed exclusion primitives from the OS and hooks to provide it with Thread Local Storage for the library.

Dave is basically writing part of this layer for FreeRTOS. Part of it is already provided in FreeRTOS via a configuration parameter.

Reply to
Richard Damon

Here's the (I hope) final version:

Please let me know if anything is unclear or I've got anything wrong! Thanks, Best Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Nadler