Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?

I need a lightweight serial protocol analyzer that will let me see
what's happening on an RS-232 line, or at least a terminal program that
will let me capture images from a serial stream.  I've seen such things
pass before my eyes, used by colleagues, but I've never needed one myself.

Any recommendations?  I'm running Windows XP, and getting by in Cygwin
with cat /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt.  It's adequate, but barely.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Here's some free DOS analyzers:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat429 /

Hopefully you can make a DOS boot floppy or
CD and run off of that instead of Win.

Re: Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?

If you go to sysinternals.com (www.sysinternals.com) you can download
portmon which, from a Windows system, lets you monitor and log I/O to the
serial (or parallel) ports. I've found it very useful, in the past, for
analysing serial communication problems.

    Andrew

Re: Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?

I once wrote a Windows application to monitor 5 serial channels.
To be found at :
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/index.html
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/fivechannel.zip

Rene

Re: Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:12:37 -0800, Tim Wescott

I've been quite pleased with ComLite32.  You can use it to monitor a
COM port that a Windoze app is using, or you can "pass-through" the
Windoze PC to monitor two external devices communicating with each
other.  You can't use it as a terminal, and I haven't tried it on XP
yet.

http://www.rtcard.com/comlab32.html

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?

myself.

I like and use this program http://www.aspycom.fr.st /
(you can choose English Language in the program menu )

Re: Free Serial Protocol Analyzers?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen) wrote in

I used docklight (www.docklight.de). Served me well.

Sam