Free Renesas RL78-G14 Microcontroller Demo Kit is a Neat Tool Toy!

This board has WiFi 802.11b and can act as an access point or a hotspot. Two LCD displays including eInk. Micro SD card slot. Sensors include a 3-axis accelerometer, temperature sensor, ambient light sensor. Stereo audio output and lots more.

Supports Android and iPhone interface applications. Article includes a cool screenshot of the Android interface.

Renesas' website say this board is available for free for a limited time as part of a promotion for the RL78. Better get two.

Bill Giovino

Bill Giovino

How do I get one free, Bill. I've been keeping Renesas in the back of my mind since, I think, Walter Banks may have mentioned the R8 or R8L? Anyway, I'd like to get one.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Hi, Jon:

To get a Renesas RL78-G14 Microcontroller Demo Kit, contact your Renesas representative. I think they are available if you go direct thru Renesas, or a manufacturer's rep. I'm not sure if they are free through a disti.

As the saying goes, it's a limited-time offer!

-Bill.

Reply to
Bill Giovino

With no obvious way to take advantage of it.

Reply to
mike

Thanks, Bill. But...

... It's just not vital enough that I stir up that pot. I am interested in exploring them and have been for a little while. I feel badly when I need to stir up one of the local reps about something that is more a matter of getting familiar; with only a small chance it will turn into business and even if it does it will likely be for a client not in my area.

(It's even closer to zero chance if I don't get familiar with them. But that's another story.)

Anyway, that tells me what I need to know. I'll ignore the offer until and unless things change.

The bait was _almost_ good enough, though!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Jon, I'm not sure I understand your caution.

If you want the board, you have to contact SOMEONE. You can contact Renesas directly, your local rep, or your local distributor. that's all that exists in the semiconductor food chain. If there is another point of contact, I'm not aware of it. Is there another avenue for contact you would prefer?

Promo boards are never available free over the web because of the potential for abuse. All the free stock disappears within a matter of hours, partially because you'll have one person order many boards using different addresses. I think either Freescale or TI tried that one many years ago and got burned badly.

Reply to
Bill Giovino

I explained it in the post, as regards my local contacts. You may not react the way I do. But that's merely a matter of personality differences, then.

I may attempt this through Renesas, directly. Having no prior contact with them makes this a cold call. Problem is, although I've been interested in learning more about these... it's not something I'll miss if I don't do it, either. I don't have a project in mind. Just an interest.

Being free isn't important. I regularly fire off orders for things I'm not sure I will use, but want take a little time learning about just in case. It's part of growing wider experiences I can bring when thinking about future projects.

But the regular price I saw for the pictured board isn't going to happen. I'm not looking for free. Just not that much, either, in this case.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I filled out a 'free' form for a RX200 series part, for a nominally $25 board some months ago, and that seems to have gone into the black hole. The appeal of the RX200 series was the wide Vcc.

Since then, Infineon has released some info on their new MX1000, which looks to hit the sweet spot even better. 1.8-5.5V Vcc, and a 1.88 Msps 12b ADC - the core matters less and less, as time goes by.

-jg

Reply to
j.m.granville

board some months ago, and that seems to have gone into the black hole.

to hit the sweet spot even better.

time goes by.

This board is a bit interesting to me because of the eInk display. I was never able to get full info on these parts, but it seems they are not very low power if you update the display. They are only low power when holding the image. One of the ebook type displays used a peak current of nearly an amp for some hundreds of ms to update the display image! But I'd like to see how much power a small display like this uses.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

This is what my Renesas rep had to say about this offer:

"Guess you can't believe everything you read on the Internet because there is no current promotion for this board as far as we know. We do have an R PB board that they can get for free, but it is a simple promotional board t hat shows a few things- nothing like the one you have requested."

-- Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

Thanks very much for checking it out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Your rep may or may not have spoken to the right person.

But to clarify some things regarding emails I have received as a result of this post:

If you want a Renesas development kit, or if you want to purchase Renesas microcontrollers, PLEASE contact your Renesas representative. Do not email me request for quotes (RFQs), or purchase orders. While I am flattered that some of you want to send me money, I do not work for Renesas nor do I sell Renesas products.

I do not sell semiconductors of any kind. Please do not email me your BOM and ask me to quote on it.

Also, if your Freescale development kits don't work and Freescale has not been kind to you, please do not "report" them to me. While Google considers Microcontroller.com to be authoritative, that only has meaning in regards to search-engine rankings. It does not mean I can take action against any semiconductor company on your behalf. I greatly appreciate feedback, but don't ask me to take action against anyone.

is a news and information website. Just because I post information about a product does not mean I sell that product. I do get excellent search engine rankings for my targeted key phrases and Google loves me - so if you want, you can get a nice SEO- optimized ad from me for as low as $350/month to help promote your product or website:

But please, stop with the emails asking me to quote you pricing or ship you product.

Thank you,

Bill Giovino

Bill Giovino

Just to be clear, I didn't send you any emails. You are talking to others here, not me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yes, it was not directed to you.

Reply to
Bill Giovino

no current promotion for this board as far as we know. We do have an RPB board that they can get for free, but it is a simple promotional board that shows a few things- nothing like the one you have requested."

Interesting. My Renesas rep said : "I'll put one in the post" :-)

Boo2

Reply to
Boo