free or cheap OS for the x86

What free or cheap OS's with can be used on an x86 (assume 386 or better, usually a PC) system aside from DOS, linux and some unix variants, or precursors?

Being realtime is nice, but it's only a soft requirement. Have to have a better response time than Windoze, though. ;-)

Reply to
aurgathor

eCos. See the Redhat side (AND NO, IT's NOT LINUX).

Arie.

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

It's hosted on a red hat server, but we're now making the URL vendor-neutral as it is no longer a Red Hat project:

Jifl

Jonathan Larmour

What is your requirement that necessitates it not to be DOS?

FreeDOS is an excellent product and allows the use of some good tools (DJGPP, packet drivers, etc.).

Regards, Richard.

BarryRichard

I have gotten MicroC/OS-II and also eRTOS running on x86 platforms.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Dotson

Not everyone has DOS nowadays -- while my simulator is functional with all versions of Windoze up to XP, it's performance leaves a lot to be desired. So, I just want to have an alternative.

BTW, thanks for all who replied.

Reply to
aurgathor