free or cheap OS for the x86

What free or cheap OS's with can be used on an x86
(assume 386 or better, usually a PC) system aside from
 DOS, linux and some unix variants, or precursors?

Being realtime is nice, but it's only a soft requirement.
Have to have a better response time than Windoze,
though.  ;-)

Re: free or cheap OS for the x86
"aurgathor" wrote...

eCos. See the Redhat side (AND NO, IT's NOT LINUX).

Arie.

Re: free or cheap OS for the x86

It's hosted on a red hat server, but we're now making the URL
vendor-neutral as it is no longer a Red Hat project:

http://ecos.sourceware.org /

Jifl

Re: free or cheap OS for the x86
What is your requirement that necessitates it not to be DOS?

FreeDOS is an excellent product and allows the use of some good tools
(DJGPP, packet drivers, etc.).

Regards,
Richard.

www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: free or cheap OS for the x86

Not everyone has DOS nowadays -- while my
simulator is functional with all versions of Windoze
up to XP, it's performance leaves a lot to be
desired.   So, I just want to have an alternative.

BTW, thanks for all who replied.

Re: free or cheap OS for the x86
I have gotten MicroC/OS-II and also eRTOS running on x86 platforms.

Doug