free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

free 8085 assembler for windows with source code in visual basic is
available at
http://www.planet-source-code.com

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

Does anyone still use the 8085?

Ian

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

Wasn't it used in the Mars rovers by NASA? IIRC it was the only micro
available that was radiation hard. (is that the correct expression?).

Meindert

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

There are quite a few Radiation hardened MCU about.
Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
I have two Marconi 2019A signal generators that use it. They are rather
old, though.

Leon

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
I've got an old Windows PC that might as well use an 8085, based on the
speed it runs programs!

But honestly, a lot of us old timers still play with these devices.
They're a LOT easier to use than PICs.

And the Rabbit Internet devices use a Z-80 superset...

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

No, the Rabbit uses an incompatible subset, and doesn't even
include all the 8080 instructions.  This makes it binary
incompatible with any software ever built for 8080, 8085, z80,
64180, z180, etc.  A very foolish decision, IMO.

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

Sure it was a dumb decision, but ZWorld had the "incompatible subset"
precedent of Dynamic C :)

I hear they'll ship the Rabbit 4000 in 2006.

Kelly

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

  It's been a while comming - first talked about in the press
back in April 2003.
  The sparse info suggests it has NO (significant) on chip memory (?),
so that makes it a 3 die/chip solution [CPU+FLASH+RAM] - which is not as
appealing as the Zilog, Freescale, or even Maxim DS80C40x Ethernet
variants.
  Plus they now have to go against the tide of ARM releases...

-jg

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

There's a fairly extensive writeup by the designer, Monte Dalrymple,
in the current (January 2006, #186) issue of Circuit Cellar.

True, still no on-chip memory, but there's an expanded register set
and the external bus width can be set to 16 bits to improve bandwidth.
There's a funky bit of code to get the thing booted before it knows
what the external bus width actually is.

.... for which they've added a bunch of support for 32-bit operations.

-- Dave Tweed

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

For the business side of things, you can read the last couple of
quarterly filings from DIGI (who bought Rabbit/ZWorld in May).  For the
$50M price tag, about $30M of that was for "intellectual property",
which seems to mean RabbitSys and the Rabbit 4000.  That's a good chunk
of money - apparantly DIGI thinks the new features are compelling.

They will likely do just fine selling new and/or improved Rabbit 4000
core modules to the same folks who buy Rabbit 2000 and 3000 core modules
but need more grunt.

Kelly

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

Yes, a sizable chunk, but Monte's website
http://www.systemyde.com/index.html
claims
"Systemyde designed the Rabbit 2000/3000/4000 series microprocessors and
have full core rights to these designs."

- one hopes DIGI realised this, so the IP would seem to be their Variant
C, and all the Rabbit/Z World modules/libraries [PCB designs will be
classified as IP ]

True, and maybe they will do a stacked-die variant, that has bulk
CPU/FLASH/RAM ?

-jg

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

If/when Atmel offers ASICs that way I imagine Rabbit'll order them that
way ;)

Kelly

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

I partly agree, except I would have thought the 8051 was a). a closer
competitor to PICs and b). available around the time of the 8085 and still
in volume production by several manufacturers.

Ian

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
On 30/12/2005 the venerable Ian Bell etched in runes:

.
.
.

I think Intel were making the 8048 when the 8085 was young. The 8051 came later.
I believe the 8085
was the first micro with a multiplexed address/data bus and ALE signal, but that
may just be old
age talking.

--
John B

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

AFAIR (and I was there) the 8080 came out around 1976 and I am certain the
8051 came out in 1980. I suspect the 8085 came out somewhere between the
two but there was not much in it. The 8051 seems to me to be the oldest
surviving single chip microcontroller and easily gives the PIC a run for
its money.

Ian

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
The 8085 became popular because it only needed a single power supply,
but was otherwise an 8080. The mux'ed addr bus opened up some more pins
that made it good for control apps.

The 8051 was a incredible chip, and is still competitive due to the
many enhancements a lot of companies have made. It was the barrel
shifter and internal UART that made the things fly off the shelf. Then
the CMOS version added more life to it, and I liked the Dallas parts
that cut down the internal clock cycles to make them 4X faster.

Now you can get 8051's with just about anything integrated into it:
USB, Ethernet, etc.

I think they will still be around many years from now. That kind of
momentum doesn't stop easily.

For what its worth, I switched to the 68hc11 some years back, and now I
use the newest 9s12 devices. These trace their roots back to the 6800,
which is just a little newer than the 8080. I don't remember when the
6800 came out, exactly, but I used one in 1978 if I remember correctly.

Eric

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
On 31 Dec 2005 14:11:47 -0800, the renowned "Eric"

Barrel shifter? You mean bit operations? Intel used to call those a
"boolean processor".

If they hadn't priced the CMOS EPROM versions into the stratosphere
initially (I recall about $40 each in small quantities) it would have
gone a lot further. That short-sighted strategy allowed many other
competitors to get into the market.

I think it came out around '76 at the then-bargain price of only
$395/chip. It also needed a nasty two-phase clock that had to swing
very quickly and tightly to the rails with a heavy capacitive load.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows

I am pretty sure the 6800 and 8080 were around at the same time because I
built an 8080 system and a mate built a 6800 one. I remember the 8080
needed a clock ship and a control signal decoder chip and THREE power
rails. The 6800 has a single 5V rail but a strange synchronous bus.

Ian

Re: free 8085 microprocessor assembler for windows
I went to the web site.

Could not find the assembler. ( lots of x86 assemblers tho )

Has anyone located it there ??

thanks

donald

Site Timeline