FPGA Internals

Hi, Can anybody suggest me some good reading regarding the FPGA architecture Internals of FPGA. What is the Difference between Xilinx "Logic gates" & Altera's "Logi Elements". Thank you

prasadbgm

The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGAs (0750676043) might be an interesting read if you are completely new to FPGA technology.

Cutting & pasting one of the reviews from amazon is faster then typing this all myself :

If you are expecting a book heavy on syntax and theory, hard to read, and full of tricky code, convoluted equations, and esoteric terms, then you are going to be disappointed. You will probably need to read books of that type at some time in the future, but they will not give you the global view that is mandatory to understand where you are, where you need to go, and how to get there.

By comparison, "The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGAs" is more a matter of culture, of looking at the "big picture", and of understanding the "state of the art"...

This book is a "page turner" that is easy to read, even for non-native readers. (the author - "Max" - even tells us how to pronounce industry-standard acronyms and how not to be embarrassed by saying words like "Linux" or "Fifo" the wrong way :-)

But don't be fooled by this "easy" look : this book contains an incredible amount of clear and accurate information. It will provide you with a LOT of practical and useful knowledge. It clearly explains, for example, what today's tools can do and how; such as what happens when you click on the "enable retiming" option in your favorite synthesis or P&R tool, or what "clock de-skewing" is all about. The "Signal Integrity 101" appendix is another proof that complex things can be explained with (few) simple words.

In just a few hours, this book will give you a culture and establish notions that would otherwise require many years of actual experience in the field. It will help you understand the tools you are going to use, the technology behind the components, and what to expect.

This book is definitely a must-read for "young" engineers (anyone with less than 5 years of intensive experience in FPGA or Asic design). Having said this, the topics are so varied that even experienced hands will also benefit from this book. Our industry is moving so fast that one cannot pretend to know everything about everything... this book really covers a lot of ground and I found it interesting from cover to cover.

The included CD-Rom has a computer-readable version of the book, which is a nice "plus".

Last, but not least, the price is fair.

I love this book and really wish that every engineer to whom I teach HDLs would read it.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C