Forget those tiny controllers...

How weird the world is!

Who would have thought a thread starting with someones (I guess hobby?) in original computing would lead to a discussion on classical music?

However I am encouraged to find that we (who said geeks?) are avid followers of classical music.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I am still struggling to learn Mussorgsky's Pictures. I hope I get it done well before I die. Just once, maybe. Still, it's a goal that keeps me going. I absolutely love the piece -- not the Ravel orchestration that I frankly do not find very appealing, at all -- the original piece for piano.

Meanwhile, I survive on playing classical, ragtime (a joy to play), and making up my own lilting pieces to make my wife sad when I want to manipulate her (so she says about it, anyway.) ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Ever hear Emerson, Lake and Palmer do it?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Let's speak about neurological side of classical music :)

Somewhat 10 years ago I've heard on a radio about the research why people prefer classical (instrumental) music while reading or thinking. The suggestion was that if words in a song are loud and intelligible enough the brain would unconsciously decode them. They (words) would interfere with the person's "inner voice" (which has it's own seeming loudness) and compete for the same area of the brain. Contrary, instrumental music, or a song in a foreign unknown language, would activate brain areas not connected with speech comprehension.

Another research showed that listening to opera while driving cause more car accidents than listening to any other genre of music. Hmm.. DUI? :)

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

Speaking of Ravel. Have you tried to play his "Pavane pour une infante defunte"? Absolutely brilliant! (Copmplexity-wise, about the same level as "Pictures". Well, for me at least, as I am playing since age of 7 :)

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

Yes but he probably coded the *sword dance* sounds for *wakeup* from

*sleep* using his alarm clock as trigger

another Peter

Reply to
plp