Forget those tiny controllers...

-- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I'd like to *hear* it work !

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Yeah yeah, but does it have gcc crosscompiler support? And is there a vhdl model available for download and will the logic fit into an Fpga?

Amazing feat of engineering, well done that man.

Reply to
Alan Myler

Very nice.

I wonder how he debugged it ? :-)

Simon.

PS: I was amazed to see the power required listed as only been 160W.

If Google's motto is "do no wrong", then how did we get Google Groups 2 ?
Reply to
Simon Clubley

Nice to see an Address BUS that actually LOOKS like a BUS-BAR !

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Anybody else notice it's built next to his bed?

Reply to
jimbo

this is an *emBEDded* group after all.

Reply to
Peter

Man, that's in your BEDROOM!

Many choose Bolero instead...

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

Next he's going to implement that 32k x 8 SRAM in relays...

Reply to
tbroberg

What I really want to know, is this the SOIC package?

Reply to
Tom

A more realistic approach and also more appropriate alternative would be to use a paper tape reader/punch such as a Teletype to simulate a drum memory.

Put the program into a paper tape loop and reset the program counter when the start of the tape is at the reader. When the feed holes pass the the reader, the pulses generated can be used as the clock frequency to increment the program counter.

A forward jump would simply skip characters until the required character is in the reader. A backward jump would require running the tape to the end of the loop and then skipping characters until the required character is in the reader.

The skipping would require that the target address is stored into a register and at each cycle the program counter is compared (XOR+AND) with the stored address and when equal, the normal program execution would continue.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Must work for him--he appears to be married with children.

~Dave~

Reply to
dave

"Andrew M" schreef in bericht news:43f5a39d$0$17083$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...

Well, not my bedroom. Could be a guest room too ;)

I'm more into Beethoven's 'Mondschein sonate' these days.

Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

J.S. Bach. Nobody else even comes close.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Student's don't have that patience.

I think the ideal companion storage device is Ramtron FRAM These are non volatile FerroElectric memory - so they do not forget when the power is off, and is very similar to the legacy CORE memory from years ago ( only in a tiny package )

FM20L08 128Kb x 8 FM1808 32k X 8

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Very much so. The Brandenburger Concertos. Nr.5 is one of my favourites, in particular the 1st and 3rd part.

But I am in a piano 'period' now. Everything from Franz Listz to Monty Alexander (not a composer but a damn good piano player). An amazing instrument, a piano.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Yes!

Well, I love to play piano. So much, in fact, that I don't actually listen much to music, anymore. It's too hard on me. It gnaws on me and I keep looking for a piano and I just want to shut off the music and instead just play and play for myself. I hadn't expected to feel that way, but there it is.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

You still have Bach's choral stuff to look forward to. I spent a year listening to the Mass in b minor and now I'm on the church canatatas.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

"Jonathan Kirwan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I'm doing a bit of silly work on my PC in the livingroom here. This thread made me search for some midi files, and I started this one:

Sounds horrible, from my tiny PC speakers, but since I know it so well, my brain enhances it so I can still enjoy it. My wife, who isn't much into Bach or any kind of music, commented "sounds like a kid on a toy xylophone".

I replied, "If you ever, *ever* hear a kid playing on a toy xylophone and you think it sounds the tiniest bit like this, call immediately the newspapers and TV stations".

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Sadly, if I tried to listen I'd just wind up back in front of my piano playing them, myself. And I need to work! Plus, I have a fantastic set of CDs I bought over the years and can no longer tolerate listening to..., since it just makes me run back to the piano.

I mean.. why listen, when you can play?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan