Foreground vs. Background (Nomenclature Question)

In the case of nested interrupts, does the "ISR == background" view mean there are multiple backgrounds? Or is the highest-priority IRQ the background, and the rest a part of IRQs the foreground? Doesn't make sense to me - but it's nevertheless a sincere question. ;-)

Now I'll go back to not using those two words.

Even if they are not nested, multiple ISRs ( e.g., CAN, UART, Timer, ...) exist in many (most?) systems. So whether you're an "ISR = 'f' word" or "ISR = 'b' word" proponent, what do you do?

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

I'm happy with the idea of "interrupts" (plural) being the background. I'm less happy with the idea of them being, collectively, foreground.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

My post was in response to "steve" , as indicated by the accreditisationificationage.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

IMHO the currently running ISR is the foreground. Whatever runs when no ISR is running is the background.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell