For S3C2440: Keil or ADS?

Hi all,

I recently got my ARM9, the SKY2440-v2 with 7" TFT eva kit from developmentboard.net.

As a novice in this field I'd like to get some suggestions on the development environment. I've learned from the the vendor developmentboard.net that both ADS and Keil can be taken as IDE and they provide an evaluation version of ADS1.2 with the kit for free. While I personally would like to look a little bit into Keil, as the ADS eva version expires some day...

So the first thing I'd like to know is which one of Keil and ADS is better to a newbie like me, which one of them could provide a full support to my SKY2440-v2 (Samsung S3C2440, arm920t)?

Any information will be helpful and appreciated, thanks in advance.

Reply to
john_smarter

ADS is ancient! Not sure if ARM still sells new licenses at all. ADS has been replaced by RVDS long ago. RVDS is a great tool chain, although perhaps not as well suited to the typical MCU customer.

RVDS and MDK (Keil) use the same compiler technology. MDK comes with code templates and examples for /many/ boards and MCU. MDK supports low cost JTAG/SWD debug adapters, where RVDS (currently) offers access to RealView ICE ($$$) and RDI compliant JTAG boxes only. RVDS uses Eclipse now, whereas MDK is based on Keil's uVision IDE.

It is really a question of development style and money, of course.

Regards

--
Marcus Harnisch
Consultant

                DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * SystemC * Verilog * SystemVerilog * e * PSL * Perl * Tcl/Tk
                  ARM Approved Training Centre (ATC)

Doulos Ltd., Central European Office, Garbsener Landstr. 10, 30419 Hannover
Tel: +49 (0)511 2771340                  mailto: marcus.harnisch@doulos.com
Fax: +49 (0)511 2771349                  Web:    http://www.doulos.com

This e-mail and any attachments  are confidential and  Doulos Ltd. reserves
all rights of  privilege in respect thereof.  It is intended for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the  intended recipient please delete it
from  your system,  any use,  disclosure,  or copying of  this document  is
unauthorised. The contents of this message may contain personal views which
Marcus Harnisch