FM tuner IC?

A couple of years ago, Motorola announced a new whiz-bang,
all-digital FM radio receiver chip.  I've searched Moto's
Web site(s) a couple of times and can't find any trace of
info about this.  Has anyone seen anything about it?  Or
did it turn out to be vaporware?

Re: FM tuner IC?

If you're not tied with Motorola, Philips has several
different chips for your specs.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: FM tuner IC?

Are you possibly refering to the SYMPHONY chipset?
It's on the Freescale site.

Mark

Re: FM tuner IC?

That looks like it.  Thanks.

Re: FM tuner IC?

So does anyone know whether the chipset actually exists?  Can I buy a
product containing it?

Symphony was announced with great fanfare, but doesn't seem to have gone
anywhere.  I was at one time interested in trying to design it into a
product (a USB radio, similar to what is now available as the
RadioShark), but Motorola didn't want to talk to anyone that wasn't
going to buy half a million units.

Re: FM tuner IC?

That's exactly my next question to attack.  I'm looking for
a solution to a particularly nasty reception problem and
would like to take something for a test drive.

Re: FM tuner IC?
Hello Everett,

Just make sure you test drive something that is going to be around for a
long enough time. I have seen too many 'panacea chips' vanish fast. Look
at Asia, too. Maybe open a few modern stereos and see which chips are in
their tuners.

My mantra: If in doubt, roll your own. When something is single-sourced
my doubt level increases a bit. It is amazing how little a discrete
solution costs these days as long as there are no fancy production
routines such as alignment. I have even shunned some quite ubiquitous
PWM chips for cost reasons.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: FM tuner IC?

I got some info regarding the Symphony chip set -- it's
not available even though it shows on Freescale's Web
site.  Apparently, it never attracted a market and has
been dropped.

Site Timeline