FM tuner IC?

A couple of years ago, Motorola announced a new whiz-bang, all-digital FM radio receiver chip. I've searched Moto's Web site(s) a couple of times and can't find any trace of info about this. Has anyone seen anything about it? Or did it turn out to be vaporware?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

If you're not tied with Motorola, Philips has several different chips for your specs.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Are you possibly refering to the SYMPHONY chipset? It's on the Freescale site.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

That looks like it. Thanks.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

So does anyone know whether the chipset actually exists? Can I buy a product containing it?

Symphony was announced with great fanfare, but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. I was at one time interested in trying to design it into a product (a USB radio, similar to what is now available as the RadioShark), but Motorola didn't want to talk to anyone that wasn't going to buy half a million units.

Reply to
Eric Smith

That's exactly my next question to attack. I'm looking for a solution to a particularly nasty reception problem and would like to take something for a test drive.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Hello Everett,

Just make sure you test drive something that is going to be around for a long enough time. I have seen too many 'panacea chips' vanish fast. Look at Asia, too. Maybe open a few modern stereos and see which chips are in their tuners.

My mantra: If in doubt, roll your own. When something is single-sourced my doubt level increases a bit. It is amazing how little a discrete solution costs these days as long as there are no fancy production routines such as alignment. I have even shunned some quite ubiquitous PWM chips for cost reasons.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I got some info regarding the Symphony chip set -- it's not available even though it shows on Freescale's Web site. Apparently, it never attracted a market and has been dropped.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene