FM modulation over telephone question

I have an analog signal that I am FM modulating between 1600Hz and 2300Hz that goes over a normal land-line telephone nicely. But if I try to transmit over a cordless phone or a cell phone then sometimes I get some weird artifacts in the received signal. Anyone know what causes this and possibly what I can do about it?

Thanks,

--Keith Brafford

Reply to
Keith Brafford

cordless phone and cell phone usually sample your signal and then send it to a analog to digital converter, and compress it. The compression algorithm usually is tuned to human voice. It might distort your signal.

The first thing I would do is to check the spectrum of your FM signal. The spectrum is not necessarily bounded in the range from 1600Hz to 2300Hz.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

Well, there is nothing you can do about it. A cell phone or a cordless DECT phone does not simply digitize and compress the voice signal. Instead, it tries to analyze it and break it down into small synthesizable pieces, like "make a hiss for 2 ms". On the other end, the codes that describe these "pieces" of voice are used to synthesize the complete voice again. An FM modulated signal is treated the same way and comes out horribly on the other end.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

At the very least, GSM is digital not analogue. It goes through it's own codec. This assumes you can also turn off the DSP in the phone which is tuned to voice (it looks to remove "background" noise, echo cancellation, comfort noise injection, etc.)

Reply to
Jason Curl

Can you adapt the signal to the characteristics of the codec? AFAIK it uses a sort of physical model of the speech track, a sawtooth shape base frequency with some filters for the vowels, plus shaped noise for the consonants.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton