Flyback Power Supplies: Varnish question

Hi,

some Switching Power Supplies come with some electronic components partially covered by a white glue called "Varnish".

Does anybody know what Varnish is and why they use it all around in Power Supplie?

Thanks in advance, Enrico Migliore

Reply to
Enrico

I don't think that's the correct translation. Somtimes it's RTV silicone, but I think there are other formulations of adhesive used.

There's often goop of some kind added to prevent premature failures due to mechanical vibration- typically on physically large inductors or capacitors.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I believe that for high-voltage supplies, varnish (or humidi-seal) can decrease the chances of arcing -- but I dunno, never having done anything with a circuit that had more than 800V on it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Varnish is usually the red coating on the Transformer windings. It is there as an isolation. If the white looks and feels like silicon, it is.

Reply to
Neil