Floating Point DSP from Microchip (?)

Has anyone here designed or even seen a high-performance servo with an air-powered actuator? The compliance is usually a killer.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

performance.

maybe it is doable:

though I'd expect it to be a bit like driving a car using a pair of rubber bands

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Generally

performance.

My 1962 Beech Bonanza (airplane) had a vacuum driven TACTAIR autopilot that was steady as bedrock. No electronics required. There is a lot of technology that has been abandoned. Way too many pilots out there on instruments that relied completely on the TACTAIR! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Generally

performance.

Did you have a second vacuum pump?

--

Tauno Voipio OH2UG, flying a very electric airplane, DA42
Reply to

I had a car in 70's that uses air logic and amplifiers in its engine controller. Gains were analog needle valves and I had two "incidents" where an air amp locked up and the car accelerated until the ignition was turned off with the key. In both cases it buried the tach almost instantly. That was the bad news, the good news was when it was properly set up it worked well.

w..

Reply to
Walter Banks

I no longer own the airplane. It did not have a backup vacuum pump. The electronics and vacuum systems were each others backups.

The point I was trying to make is that pneumatic systems can be constructed in a manner to be precise, robust and strong. Dirt & dust are the main problems encountered.

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Power brakes are usually vacuum operated (at least they were when I first became acquainted with them). Pneumatics can work quite well when force is the controlled variable. I had position servos in mind when I asked the question.

Jerry

Jerry Avins