FLASH storage technology

I'm looking at four FLASH storage technologies for an industrial application. I need 128Meg of storage on a single device, and I need Linux support for filesystems compatible with the media. I'm looking at:

- CF - MMC - SD - SmartMedia

Any insight would be appreciated, particularly regarding cost-to-implement and future availability.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian McBride

Linux

CF has hardware IDE emulation. If you're using an SBC, this might be compelling. Also you have plenty of upwards expansion capability, as far as a gigabyte or so. It's very very easy to work with, both in x86 environments and in "real" embedded environments.

MMC and SD have low I/O budget requirements and the connector is easy to work with. It's fairly easy to write the firmware.

I don't think I'd recommend SSFDC. It seems to be losing the format wars, and if you need more than 128Mb you're apparently SOL (256Mb has been talked about, but I haven't actually seen a product). However, it is readily available and not very expensive.

MMC, SD and SSFDC are cartel-controlled (MMC least of all). You need "club membership" to work with these formats.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

CF is IDE-like interface, you needn't to do any software work on it, it maybe the most fast-to-market solution.

regards

Lawrence

Linux

Reply to