Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface

Hi group,

We have a need for a fingerprint scanner to be connected to our controller,
running ROM-DOS, and only having RS232 connectivity available. The idea is
for staff to id themselves as part of a security protocol to initiate
critical processes.

The fingerprint ids to match are relatively low, about 10 to 15 at most, and
some storage space on the controller can be provided.

Anyone have an idea of something suitable, preferably costing a couple of
fingers and not an arm and a leg <g> ?

Thanks in advance and regards,
Harnek

Re: Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface
controller,
and

Atmel makes this sort of thing. Don't know how much they cost or if they
work OK, though.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the info.

However, my requirements at the moment are such that I need a self contained
unit that will interface to the COM port of a PC or a PC-based controller
without any other integration work.

Regards,
Harnek

Re: Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface

A google search should reveal some companies.
Also have a look at http://www.fpusa.com /
http://www.fpusa.com/links.htm

I remember having seen a small device at http://www.identix.com /

Rene

Re: Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface

Hi Rene,

Thanks for the links. Some interesting ones I will follow up on.

Regards,
Harnek

Re: Fingerprint scanner w/RS232 interface

Have a look at a page of mine. The whole is not as simple as
it appears.

http://www.ibrtses.com/projects/fingerprint.html

Rene