FIFO as a Logic Analyzer; Clock synthesizer

Hi!
I have a big FIFO chip covered by dust, that I'd like to finally use.
The most useful application I'm imagining for it is to finally make
myself a logic analyzer. This FIFO (Texas Instruments SN74V3690-6PEU)
is a 3.3V device, but has 5V tolerant inputs. "Great!" I thought.

What I'm asking you is: should I connect the probes (just a header
cable) directly to the FIFO, or should I use an high speed buffer
inbetween? Consider that the chip is specced at 166MHz.

Moreover, what is the cheapest way to produce a variable clock
speed up to 166MHz (and possibly beyond, for other applications)?
A PLL? Any chip you may suggest me?

Thanks!
TPM

Re: FIFO as a Logic Analyzer; Clock synthesizer
On Thursday, in article

I personally would buffer as a mistake on the inputs could blow
the inexpensive buffer, and depends on how easy it is to get those FIFO
chips in 6 months time.

For quite a lot of PLLs I use ICS <http://www.icst.com/ whole range of
fixed and programmeable PLL and clock drivers. Simple chip and an
oscillator/crystal can get very cheap multiples, I find cheap and easy for
video and LCD driving (lots of different clock rates).

To achieve 166MHz will be something in their standard parts as quite a few
parts have used that type of clock multiplied up from a much lowere clock.