Few questions on embedded stuff - Page 4

Re: Few questions on embedded stuff

Some of those Wdogs and processors sounded too complex to be dependable.
There is always an element of system architecture selection to best suit
the application's requirements  Watchdogs style should be part of the
architecture selection process.

Re: Few questions on embedded stuff

   Perhaps not "most" but certainly too many. These are apparently the
embedded people who come out of computer science. There are still
people like me who have an electronics/EE background (both digital and
analog) who ended up working with embedded processors, and can do more
of the project (sorry, I don't do marketing).

   As someone else said, this is always a good idea, regardless of
one's knowledge level. But still, it helps to have an analog
background
   I attended National's mos recent Bob Pease tour, and one section
was on National's op-amps and ISTR some slides (at least in the book,
they may have just mentioned them in the presentation) on op-amp
configurations and gain calculations. To knowledgable analog guys,
that's about equivalent to a nand gate's truth table.

   Most of my designs have used a "heartbeat" interrupt as well as one
or two other interrupts, and I hang many of the tasks on the heartbeat
interrupt. I've written all the code the processor runs. I'm sure I
have a big hole in my resume from lack of RTOS experience.

   You may have also noticed a wide range of prices, processor power,
electrical power the board takes, various peripherals and other
features available. etc. You can prototype a wrist watch with a MSP430
or Atmel "Butterfly"  board, but it probably won't run Linux. There
are a huge number of different applications under the word "embedded"
and the vendors are just selling what people buy.

   There are a "few" standards, but lots of stuff is "non-standard."

Re: Few questions on embedded stuff

WRONG... Depends on the engineer and his/her experience..

Some engineers only know software, some analog, some digital and some
mixtures of all three..
In my case I was ME then EE then finallly BSCS

Any and none.. depends on the application..

Horses for courses my dear chap..!