fet for automatic gain control?

comp.arch.embedded fet for automatic gain control?

Any suggestions for an enhancement mode mosfet to serve as a variable resistence element in an automatic gain control type circuit? Power involved is a bare whisper; worst case voltage is probably 30 volts. There may well be a better remidy than an mosfet, but it looks good at this point.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Funnily enough I was going through some old log-books the other day and spotted one circuit I used in the mixer console of the dual-deck, microphoine and auxilliary inputs used by DJ's. This was a 1970's era design which was less noisy in operation than some of the currently available Op- Amps. It used dual gated MOSFET's to provide the gain control aspect. Not sure if you would find any of them around now though.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

That does ring a bell. The 2 channel aspect with one varying gain probably wouln't fit this application but...

Hul

Paul E Bennett wrote:

Reply to
dbr

For those interested I found a couple of links that might prove useful reading.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

Do not use a MOSFET as a variable gain resistor, use a JFET. The best ones are 2N4391 and another one I have used which is practically the same but under another name (same process, was it 4856... no, I don't remember). You can count on it going to as low as 30 Ohm over temperature at

0V G-S; linearity is much better than with other types (still far from perfect, you can get around 1% INL but nothing better without extra measures). Temperature drift is also huge of course, compensating that takes some more extra measures.

Dimiter

dp

I'm think that dual gate MOSFET like BF998 will be suitable.

Reply to
Artem

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.

Hul

Artem wrote:

Reply to
dbr