Fast samples from TI

I ordered some sample MSP430F437 chips from TI over the weekend and was
amazed when they turned up today, the 17 November! Samples used to take a
couple of weeks to get here (UK).

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: Fast samples from TI

I've always found TI really quick for samples (I'm also in the UK).  NSC
are also really good - I wish other companies like Philips would follow
this lead, as it makes life very easy when evaluating parts and building
prototypes.

Martin

Re: Fast samples from TI
NSC nor requires a fee for shipping and handeling, still not bad. I
asked for a coupke of samples of a new SPI temperature chip and it cost
me $8US.

Tom Woodrow

Re: Fast samples from TI

They are fulfilled from local distributors.

If you order TI samples here in the US, they are shipped from Digi-Key,
with the Digi-Key logo cut off the corner of the invoice.

Re: Fast samples from TI
snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com says...
That sounds like a smart move on the part of TI.  Why spend the money
to build an infrastructure  to efficiently ship two or three parts
a hundred times a day when a proven expert in that field has the
excess capacity available.

Can't hurt Digi-Key to be on the good side of a major supplier, either.
Plus, I suppose they could track the requests to see which parts have
the demand to become part of the regular Digi-Key inventory.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Fast samples from TI

Not in the UK. The samples came direct from TI in the US.

Leon

Re: Fast samples from TI
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:58:00 -0000, the renowned "Leon Heller"

What was the address on the "TI" invoice? Thief River Falls MN?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Fast samples from TI
Exactly Spehro. TI has been using DigiKey as their samples
distributior for some time now. A great idea in my opinion. Electronic
distribution doesn't get any finer. I'm just waiting for the day that
DK decides to get serious on their volume pricing. When they do, I'd
start selling short on all my "big" distributor stocks!

Re: Fast samples from TI
says...

Personally,  I'm a bit afraid that such a move might change the
character of the company.   I don't need mid-morning phone calls
from a DK rep introducing himself as the area rep and wanting
to send me a line card.   When I call them,  the people answering
the phone at Digi-Key are polite, efficient and helpful.  I
don't think they need an autodialer to help them find new business.

In a busy year,  I might ship a hundred of a particular product.
During that same year,  I'll buy parts in quantity 25 or less
for a half-dozen prototypes and custom projects.  Quantity
pricing is not an issue for me.   Heck, why should it be---
I'm giving UPS about $500 per year for 2nd day air!   But there's
a sacred place in my business model for a company that gives me
confidence that parts ordered before 5PM (Pacific) will be here
the day after tomorrow.

Up until last year,  I used to have an informal rule:  Don't
design a part into a product unless it's available at Digi-Key.
That rule was the result of some intermittent procurement problems
for a number of ICs.  To some extent,  I've relaxed the rule because
of the ability to buy small quantities from such companies as
Linear Technology,  Maxim, and Analog Devices,  directly from
their web stores.   DK is still the first choice vendor, though.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Fast samples from TI

In the UK it tends to be RS and Farnell that people use when choosing parts.

Leon

Re: Fast samples from TI
leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...
There's no good reason a UK company can't adopt the Digi-Key working
model.  They would have the advantage of greatly reduced  paperwork
and shipping costs.   I know that every time I ship a $200 board to
the UK,  it costs me an extra 15 minutes of paperwork and it costs
the customer about an extra $50 for 3-day shipping.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Fast samples from TI

Amen! I like distributors that let me pull parts rather than pushing
them to me. But D-K *could* do this, in theory. What I'd like to see
in my ideal universe is a system that turns D-K into the purchasing
department for my small company. I submit my BOMs and they adjust my
pricing based on mfg quantities. They might offer second-source
alternatives where available.

All this is within the purview of a reasonably competent database
operator...

Re: Fast samples from TI

I saw Thief River Falls and thought that was an odd place for a TI facility.
It was Digikey, of course.

Leon

Site Timeline