Fast path to Ethernet

I've been working on a multidrop serial network for home automation that runs around 19.2kbps to 56kbps, it works great, i love it, yada yada yada.

But I need more speed! As the network grows to completion, I'm rapdily starting to look into new fun toys that will demand more speed. I'd really like to start utilizing ethernet as my main system of control.

Can people recommend some fast paths to ethernet? Most of my existing experience lies with the Scenix/Ubicom SX chips, bless their little hearts. Some sort of DMA is required: making the microcontroller recieve and spew out every single bit is unacceptable.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Fowle

Above and beyond the basic ethernet demand, I guess I'm looking at getting into more sophisticated micros.

My eventual long term goal is to work towards more desktop computerlike micro systems; ones which boast PCI interfaces.

I am a student though, so even $600 devel kits are a little to expensive for learning platforms. I could probably swing a $750 kit if it included everything i hope to learn in the next two or three years (see: pci). That was the great appeal of the scenix. Cheap, fast. But everything is more bit banging. *groan*.

Reply to
Matthew Fowle

You can put that on your board and it just wires into the serial lines of your micro. Well, that's the way the Lantronix guys explained it to me when I was at ESC.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

I am vaguely aware of the complexities of ethernet, but my future applications will require both high bandwidth, long reaches and the ability to seamlessly integrate with computers.

Right now its more of a learning project than anything else.

Myren

Reply to
Matthew Fowle

Realize that ethernet is just the lowest rung on the ladder to integration with PCs. You also have to come up with the protocol stack, and that's probably not something you actually want to write.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology
Reply to
Alex Pavloff

The TINI and RabbitCore modules have plenty of firmware support for Ethernet and Internet protocols. I have links to info about these and a few other selected Ethernet-capable products here:

Jan Axelson

jan Axelson