Fast path to Ethernet

I've been working on a multidrop serial network for home automation that
runs around 19.2kbps to 56kbps, it works great, i love it, yada yada
yada.

But I need more speed!  As the network grows to completion, I'm rapdily
starting to look into new fun toys that will demand more speed.  I'd
really like to start utilizing ethernet as my main system of control.

Can people recommend some fast paths to ethernet?  Most of my existing
experience lies with the Scenix/Ubicom SX chips, bless their little
hearts.  Some sort of DMA is required: making the microcontroller
recieve and spew out every single bit is unacceptable.

Matt

FPtE Followup
Above and beyond the basic ethernet demand, I guess I'm looking at
getting into more sophisticated micros.

My eventual long term goal is to work towards more desktop computerlike
micro systems; ones which boast PCI interfaces.

I am a student though, so even $600 devel kits are a little to expensive
for learning platforms.  I could probably swing a $750 kit if it
included everything i hope to learn in the next two or three years (see:
pci).  That was the great appeal of the scenix.  Cheap, fast.  But
everything is more bit banging.  *groan*.

Re: Fast path to Ethernet
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:44:43 -0400, Matthew Fowle

http://www.lantronix.com/products/eds/xport/index.html

You can put that on your board and it just wires into the serial lines
of your micro.  Well, that's the way the Lantronix guys explained it
to me when I was at ESC.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Fast path to Ethernet

I am vaguely aware of the complexities of ethernet, but my future
applications will require both high bandwidth, long reaches and the
ability to seamlessly integrate with computers.

Right now its more of a learning project than anything else.

Myren

Re: Fast path to Ethernet
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:10:15 -0400, Matthew Fowle

Realize that ethernet is just the lowest rung on the ladder to
integration with PCs.  You also have to come up with the protocol
stack, and that's probably not something you actually want to write.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Fast path to Ethernet

The TINI and RabbitCore modules have plenty of firmware support for
Ethernet and Internet protocols. I have links to info about these and
a few other selected Ethernet-capable products here:

www.Lvr.com/ethernet.htm

Jan Axelson
www.Lvr.com

Site Timeline