Fast non-bga microprocessor

Hi all,

I am looking for a fast ( >= 200 MHz) processor in a QFP packaging.

So far, the only one I have found is Atmel's AT91RM9200 at 180MHz with
an ARM9 core. All the others were a BGA package which is very costy
for me...

Are there any other options ?

Thanks in advance..

Antonis

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

You might look at Hitach's SH line, and also maybe some of the IBM and
Motorola PowerPC's.  Note that while the clock rate is lower on PowerPC than
ARM, the throughput on the PowerPC can still be comparable.

Other than that, the world is going the way of BGA, especially for faster
chips.

Why is BGA expensive for you?  Because of prototyping tools, or design
software?  Once you've got the part on the board, you may well find that
there are less solder defects than PQFP, which results in faster bring up,
which results in less overall cost.  Compare this to what a board house
charges to put the CPU on your prototype boards.

--
James Dabbs, TGA
(eliminate digits to get valid email address)

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

It costs us $2 to build a board.  If we have to outsource it because of
BGA, the boards cost $35 each.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _

For $2, these sound like simple boards or boards in production quantity.  I
was thinking more along the lines of prototypes of something complex enough
to need a fast, 32-bin processor.  My point was, if you need to prototype
something complex enough to warrant a 32-bit controller, then BGA does not
seem to me to really to create a cost problem.  Even your numbers -- "$20"
versus "$350" for 10 prototypes -- is a good deal if your $85/hour software
engineer spends a few less hours chasing soldering problems on hand-did
TQFP's.
--
James Dabbs, TGA
(eliminate digits to get valid email address)

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

Production quantity, indeed.  We aren't going to do fewer than 5,000 units a
year.  The boards are in the range of 16-to-20 square inches, single- or double-
sided, surface mount.  The double-sided ones cost closer to $5 (assembly labor
and resources).

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt              91387-4454             snipped-for-privacy@Quitt.net
           96.37% of all statistics are made up

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor
double-

 Many chip vendors are slow to appreciate the PCB costs, but there was
a swing a few years ago to 2 layer PCBs in HDDs that gave significant
cost savings, and IIRC Intel recently had to respin a chipset to give 4
layer
operation, as 6 layers was too costly.

 That said, do you seek a 200MHz microcontroller (on chip memory) or a
off-chip memory device running on DDR memory or similar ?
 Single chip should be around in QFP, but external memory devices push
pin count,
footprint area, and ground integrity, which make TQFP a bigger ask.

-jg

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:29:53 +1300, Jim Granville

I'm not the OP - I was just chiming in.  In my case I'm looking for a tiny
system (~128KB program store ~128KB RAM) that's network-capable; Fast is
not particularly meaningful for this product.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _
Kevin D Quitt  USA 91387-4454         96.37% of all statistics are made up
Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

I've been told that ADI are putting the Blackfin DSP (600 MHz) into a
QFP package. It's got two ALUs so it can actually execute 1200 MIPS.

Leon

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

The 4000$ or so for a compiler for this family are likely not in the
budget when a BGA is considered too expensive.

Rene

Re: Fast non-bga microprocessor

Actually, that's not the case.  I'm likely to be spending $15K for a complete
development system.  It only takes 400 boards, at $33 less each, to pay for the
development system.  Not to mention how much of my time it saves - even if it's
a savings of just several weeks, it's paid for itself.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt              91387-4454             snipped-for-privacy@Quitt.net
           96.37% of all statistics are made up